or Connect

Posts by John F.

A few months ago, I wanted to buy a Nexus 7, but then I read a couple of stories about the tablet slowing down after a few months of use -- expecially after installing a specific Android update. A searched some more, and it now seems widespread. Strange that this doesn't get any attention.   Is it Android that causes the slowdowns, or is it bad memory that is used, or maybe no garbage collection?   Nexus 7 and the new one seem like a dream on paper, in specs and...
What a weird phrasing. Apple UK is only one of Apple's subsidiaries; every European country has its own. This phrasing makes it seem like the billions of operation income across Europe comes to the UK and then flow to Ireland. This is not the case. Each subsidiary gets the money made in each individual country, and has to adhere to each country's tax system. Then the money flows to the Ireland Holding; so to keep the money in one place. Apple pays taxes where the law...
Maybe Apple is ready to move to a different supplier? So they order less components from Samsung, and move to Sharp for introduction of IGZO? Longer battery life anyone?
After reading many articles, I get the impression that during the Steve years, many execs left because of personal conflict, probably also with Forstall -- especially Jon Rubinstein, Avie Tevanian and Tony Fadell. So Cook's choice is keep Forstall and bleed out. Or keep everyone else happy and keep the team.   Also, Forstall doesn't seem like a teamplayer. I've read that he regarded his team kind of as pirates within the Apple campus :-). Yes, he was Steve's man, probably...
Competition is getting fiercer. So I don't mind this faster upgrade cycle. It is normal in the PC industry -- only not normal for Apple. But Apple has to stay at competitive edge. I don't buy people moaning about the iPad 3 being obsolete. It still works fine. Yes, people buying now get faster. But as Steve Jobs said, there's always something faster around the corner. That's technology.
  I'm just saying that if Apple did have IGZO, they didn't have to put in the 42.5 Watt-hour battery. IGZO rumors have been long running. Also the rumors about the problems with the yield. I don't think it's plan A to put in that big battery and increase battery charging time. I believe it's plan B. Plan A was having IGZO ready. But everything is possible. Could be plan A. It's just an opinion. No need to state: "…you're making things up to suit your fantasies." This is a...
It is true, though, that Apple wanted IGZO, but had problems getting them in quantity. The new iPad is at best a stopgap. Why? Because of the battery. That is an 42.5-watt-hour battery in the new iPad. It makes the new iPad thicker, heavier and charging time is way too long compared to iPad 2. But more importantly, it costs Apple more money to put in a battery almost twice the rating of the iPad 2.   So Apple was in a pickle. They really wanted to give people IGZO...
I think iPad mini will start at $299. Why? When the iPhone 5 and iPod touch were introduced, there was a glitch on the Dutch AppleStore. It said iPad from EUR319. This would correspond with a US price of $299. I made a screen shot when the glitch occurred on September 12: On September 12, Dutch price to US price for iPod touch, for example, was EUR 209 against $199. For iPod Nano, it was EUR 169 against $149. For iPod Classic, it was EUR 259 against $249. So iPad...
All Apple forums have been invaded by Android shills. It's no fun anymore. What are they even doing here? I'm signing out forever. Which is just what they want. But whatever. Please close these forums. It used to be a place where we got together having fun talking about Apple, and Apple stuff. Talking about our favorite company who makes great stuff for us and lots of people around the world. And also being critical of Apple, but because as Apple fans we care. Now the...
If the iPod touch goes down in price, that leaves room for iPad mini. Cheapest iPod touch for $150 Cheapest iPad mini for $250 IPod shuffle being phased out and replaced by cheaper iPod nano.