or Connect

Posts by John F.

If the iPod touch goes down in price, that leaves room for iPad mini. Cheapest iPod touch for $150 Cheapest iPad mini for $250 IPod shuffle being phased out and replaced by cheaper iPod nano.
I disagree that Apple litigates on products that have not come out. Show me examples! What I have see, though, is Apple is served themselves by companies that come out of nowhere and don't produce anything saying they have the patents on something (also software patents). And Apple has to pay them trolls! That's why the game is so unfair. Patent trolls do extract money from Microsoft, Apple, Nokia, etc. I have read reports on how many companies are licensed to patents of...
That's the only argument Googlelites come up with when presented with Apple patents. But, but, but... Apple has copied Notification Center from Google! There are no other things Googlelites refer to make their case on how shameful Apple is in copying others. (Oh yeah, and the Xerox thing from 30 years ago.) This is not to say that all Apple's implementations are original. Like they had to pay $100 million to Creative for their patent on music player UI that Apple used in...
Oh, so there are other ways of implementing things? They just didn't want to do it earlier because Android is freeeeee! Everything implemented in Android is open and freeeeeee! Come everybody, repeat, Android is freeeeee! Meanwhile, Microsoft gets more money from their patents used in Android than Google gets from their own "free" operating system. As long as you keep repeating it's open and free, no patents will ever be violated, right? It's free! It's open! Like their...
I bet it is good. Funny how in the end, the "integrated" Apple approach is what all companies are turning to. Sad for their (MS and Google) partners, though. In the end, despite the choice, people will buy things from the "source", because of guaranteed OS support and because user experience. I would buy from MS or Google if I were in for an Android or Windows 8 tablet. Slowly, Google and Windows branded tablet will overtake those OEM. Maybe not in a few months, but over...
I do like the new Microsoft. It's like they are saying, the PC makers are stupid. They are not able to make a good Windows tablet and give consumers the experience we want. Up theirs and we do our own. That's Apple-like.   Of course, that they do their own hardware is also because of the Android platform. Most manufacturers are creating Android stuff. How can MS compete against a "free and open" platform? They need to push the Windows brand. Look at the Surface....
So Microsoft is more and more becoming like Apple in business strategy. Next they buy Nokia. Google is becoming more and more like Apple, buying Motorola Mobile for their own hardware, leaving the crumbs to the "Open" platform partners. Samsung will be the only company to profit from Android.   How should I view the pundits that said Apple needs to open up and be more like Microsoft? Be more like Google?
Because then no app would run. iOS app layout are pixel precise. Android is not pixel precise, it simply rearranges elements to fit. Both systems have pro and cons. The pro on Apple is that the layout the developer makes is exactly what the user gets. Androids pro is that it can fit to any screen size. It all is about user experience in the end.
Why all the negativity? This always happens before it comes out, then it's all OOh and Aahh afterwards.   To me it makes sense. Apple has only one form factor to please the whole crowd, the whole world of small and large people, teens and grown ups. They all have to be able to hold the phone in their hands. Same with the iPod touch. If they make it too wide, it will for the same money turn many people away saying it's too large for their hands, or too difficult to...
Starck is no Dieter Rams! Why would Jobs meet with him? Dieter Rams I would believe.