or Connect

Posts by John F.

Funny stuff. Here in the Netherlands publishers set the prices of books by law. Thing is, our law doesn't include eBooks. Law is always far behind new technology. The only problem I see in the agreements is the clause that price in iBookstore has to be equal to the lowest price the publishers set elswhere (with regards to agency model). Still, as Amazon buys wholesale and has no agency model (or do they?), prices between Amazon and iBookstore may still be different....
The problem with Nokia is defection. People who used Nokia now leave because they don't want a Windows Phone. They either go Android or Apple now. That's why OS share of Windows Phone stays low, even now Nokia sells them. Nokia should have been faster in developing Meego. Same goes for RIM. And also the sunken Palm. All have developed their new OS too late and too slow. Still, if we go back into history, Apple was also slow. From 1997 to 2001 Apple had no real alternative...
Also have Samsung washing machine. Seems good to me. I have nothing against Samsung. I have nothing against Android. It's just this mismatch between the Google developed OS, and what these hardware manufacturers get to consumers, causing strain on support updates. I hope this doesn't happen to Windows Phone. I hope Windows Phone just gets direct support from Microsoft, whatever hardware manufacturer you buy from.
I don't know what you are saying, please explain. It's gibberish to me. \Many Samsung phones don't get updates, same for Motorola etc. Only certain Galaxy models get true support. But it's always a guessing game. So this is not Samsung's fault that many of their phones get no support? Okay. So them not giving support is because they care. Okay.Hey, I'm all for choice and don't care which OS is "superior". Android is fine as an OS, but the companies that use Android have...
The copying is not the largest problem. The problem is how Samsung treats customers. Samsung Android products are not longterm investments, as they don't provide system updates down the road. These are all one-off products with practically no support. Yeah, Android fans will point at the openness and say you can always hack, but normal consumers know nothing about it. Openness is not a feature, support to the normal consumer is. See how many people like Samsung in a year...
My brother's Samsung Android phone constantly freezes, or slows to a halt. Can't fix the problem. Also never gets any updates from Samsung. You buy cheap Samsung phones, you only get the Android OS that's on it without any updates. That's . At least with Apple you get 3 years support. The new iOS won't always run fast, but at least there's software updates. If you buy Android, you can only hope for support, and sometimes you get an update, but mostly not. Samsung makes...
Many said the problem was not the agency model but the provision. Now we see that they even want the agency model gone. So in effect, publishers have no rights whatsoever to set prices of their products and can only sell wholesale. Yet, if they forgo Amazon, Apple, etc, and directly sell to consumers via their own store, what then? Then they can set prices? Some publishers do sell directly. In the Netherlands, book prices are protected by law and publishers do set the...
To be fair, Power Macintosh and PowerBook came before Jobs. He simply inherited them, but he did change them eventually to Mac Pro and MacBook when they moved away from PowerPC. Also G3, G4, G5 were needed more in those PowerPC days to reference the upgrade (pure marketing like iPhone 3G). Macs were also, sadly, a tougher sell in those PowerPC vs Intel days. These days, people expect simply the latest Intel chips inside the Macs.
That's right. Being competitive apparently means selling at a loss, or at near zero margin. Being anti-competitive apparently means making money to not go broke. What if publishers don't sell the books to Amazon anymore, but sell them directly to consumers, like Apple does? Oh no, that's also anti-competitive.
Wait, now I know where all of this hardware went: Amazon Kindle Fire. They sold the leftovers to Amazon! It's the same form factor. That's why it's so cheap!