or Connect

Posts by John F.

Wait, now I know where all of this hardware went: Amazon Kindle Fire. They sold the leftovers to Amazon! It's the same form factor. That's why it's so cheap!
Amateur hour really is over. I guess they were referring to themselves. That tagline will haunt them for a while. Amateurs. \
I've read workers are treated like dirt at Amazon warehouses in the US too. I also remember the time Apple had factories in US, Mexico, and Europe. I remember the prices of Apple computers too! Was not really competitive. I think Apple would not object having factories in the US, if they can make things at competitive prices. That takes giving a lot of benefits when companies want to create factories. Then there's the problem of finding enough people to work...
What I don't get is that Apple makes custom chips, right? Not totally different, but still custom. But Samsung, a competitor, produces it. So certainly Samsung will rip off their custom designs? Better for Apple to produce their chips elsewhere.
I just don't see it. They have 45 million users. They have maybe 1 million paying customers. They have to keep growing year on year. Infrastructure costs are high. Most consumers are just too stupid to see any value in paid joining. People are already spoiled by things they get for free. Google is big because they sell advertising, not because of their values. And Google is everywhere. Apple is big because they sell profitable hardware, lots. Microsoft is big because they...
It's still hard to see a solid business model for Dropbox. How many of the 45 million users only use the free stuff? I mean, they give away 2 GB for free. Then they ask only $9.99/month for 50GB. How many people use the paid stuff? How much does all the infrastructure cost? They raise $250 million in funding from investors. Jobs warned them not to trust them, because they want to see value, year-to-year growth. They need people to sign up and pay each year. I don't see it....
Don't be guided too much by sentiment. This "post-Jobs" thinking will blur your vision, thinking it was always peachy under Jobs, and everything after is less. But even Jobs had keynotes people considered lacking in announcements. Apple has never been about feeding the public what they want right now, but working things out until they think it's ready. I read that Apple's roadmap is planned 3-4 years in advance. It is much like Pixar new features are planned while the...
From FOSSPATENTS Today's announcement by Samsung states that the petitions to be filed today in France and Italy "will each cite two patent infringements related to wireless telecommunications technology, specifically Wideband Code Division Multiple Access (WCDMA) standards for 3G mobile handsets". Very importantly, Samsung's announcement declares those patents to be "essential", which is an incredibly important term in connection with industry standards. If those...
Thunderbolt = future 10 Gbps, 10 Watts power, bi-directional, daisy chain, can be connected to every video source via adapter, and is compatible with every connector out there via adapters!
I'm not sure if the info going around is correct. The Apple press release certainly focusses only on subscriptions, of videos, magazines, newspapers, audio, and does not mention books at all. Really, is Amazon affected by this? Amazon sells seperate titles, not subscriptions.