or Connect

Posts by Elijahg

The EU originally stated that a company should operate from one country in the EU (of which companies chose the tax havens Ireland and Luxembourg) and then charge VAT set by the country they are based in, not the where the customer resides. When companies started avoiding paying heaps of tax using this EU-sanctioned method, politicians got annoyed, so the EU and the same politicians started trying to blame the companies for using the EU-sanctioned VAT system/loophole. They...
I bet Google is sorely disappointed that they can't collect user's fingerprints.
They could check the credit cards were registered at the same address. Easy.
It seems stupid to me that you can't have a separate payment card for each person in the family sharing account, i.e if I add my girlfriend to Family Sharing, any purchases made by her are billed to me. I want to share apps etc but pay for them separately. Is that so difficult?
Seems the article link on the front page is broken
Yeah I get that too. It seems a fairly small imperfection completely messes up recognition.It's only faster if it works first time, otherwise the repeated touch-let go-touch-let go is slower than a passcode.
Exactly.If there was as little as a minute grace time TouchID be a lot more convenient, with a minimal reduction in security. Often my iPhone the screen turns off when I'm using it, and I have to re-wake it, which annoyingly requires my passcode or ID. I'm not sure if the texture of my thumb varies wildly or what, but it's usually quicker to just slide to unlock and enter the passcode, not bothering with TouchID at all. If it wasn't a core feature of the 5s, I'd probably...
No, chip design isn't magic; but getting an ancient CISC architecture like x86 running efficiently is. CISC CPUs are much more complex than RISC (ARM/PPC/Apple) ones, since they have to handle a much larger variety of assembler instructions. In a similar fashion to how PPC was faster and more efficient than x86 back in the mid to late 1990s, ARM's architecture is much simpler, more efficient and per CPU cycle, it does more work. It was designed for efficiency from the...
True, but AI did say they were scraping texts and photos, and that "no level of encryption will" help. But encryption of the IP layer would stop a fake cell tower from easily reading IP-based data.Ah good.What makes you think that? iCloud email between servers and between client and server is encrypted. Most other email services require client to server encryption too. So again, sniffing IP data is useless.
Texts could be intercepted, and picture messages too since they're plaintext, not encrypted.This is not entirely correct. Cellular calls and text messages (non-IP based) are sniffable with a fake cell tower, but encrypted data isn't without supercomputer-grade decryption, or the private keys. Regarding a normal cell tower, the data isn't encrypted at the cell tower's location, it's encrypted all the way to Apple's servers. Spoofing SSL data sent to the phone is essentially...