or Connect

Posts by Elijahg

OS X Server is becoming less and less appealing with no hardware to run it on... Schools sometimes used Mac Mini servers, but the options are pretty much exhausted now. Mac Pros aren't servers.
Shouldn't Gatekeeper have prevented this? When a malicious file is downloaded (via Safari at least), OS X warns that the file is dangerous. When trying to open the file, the warning that it's not signed appears again, forcing the user to right-click and open, unless Gatekeeper is off that is. Of course if the user has disabled Gatekeeper, they've only really got themselves to blame.
Isn't the data centre solar powered? Maybe the sun went in Seems to be back up now according to Apple's status page.
Interesting graph, thanks. Aluminium is weird in that when it's heated, it doesn't really go through much of a "softer" stage, it just suddenly liquifies, as shown on the graph. Bit like how ice doesn't get soft when warmed.Fatigue will actually make the point harder, and liable to crack rather than bend. The recessed volume buttons will decrease the strength at the buttons though. I've not seen a teardown so it might have these already, but milling strengthening ridges...
Better battery life too.
Apple uses many custom chips in their Macs, ones they've designed, ones designed by Intel, Realtek, Broadcom, Atheros and many more. The /System/Library/Extensions folder has 230 items in, most of which are hardware drivers. Would adding one more be such a terrible thing? Even then, it took Apple 8 months after the USB 3 chipset was on sale from Intel to release a desktop with USB 3. In technology circles, 8 months is an age.I completely agree. I'm glad Volex make Apple's...
Err... No. Melting point of aluminium: 660C. Your pocket: 37C.
Johnny Ive's obsession with thinness strikes again.
Inductive charging is pretty useless for anything with a battery the size of the Air, since if it was charging at a rate of 4.5w, the 54Wh battery would take 12 hours to charge, and longer if you were using the device. Plus you have to comply with EMI regulations, you can't go pumping several watts of radio waves into the air without a licence. For reference, most WiFi routers output something between 0.02-0.1w.This. It took Apple ages to adopt USB 3 too. They don't really...
I've never replaced a USB A > B cable, though the USB Micro ones are crap, they're too fragile. The USB Mini are ok it seems. Apple Lightning cables however, I replace every few months... The UV in sunlight seemingly attacks them, and the strain reliefs are woefully inadequate.I have a drawer dedicated to Apple adapters, I have more Apple adapters than I any other by far.