or Connect

Posts by Elijahg

Alright, I don't think we were quite clear on what you were getting at. Many things are technically possible, such as a 12-disk RAID on a MacBook, but there is little point in discussing things that are that infeasable The Tegra 2 is more based around a traditional motherboard architecture, with a northbridge/southbridge etc. Apple's design is somewhat different to this, it's more tightly integrated and doesn't use a PCIe style bus internally. I'm sure Apple could support...
No problem. It would be possible to have resistors in series with each pin, but for power pins a resistor large enough to prevent shorting damage would also reduce the power available to connected accessories to an unacceptably low level. You could have resettable fuses too, but they allow large currents for a short while before they blow, plus they're physically big. Other than having some kind of switch in the socket to actually enable the pins (I think you suggested...
Please read my previous post which answers this. Yes it'd be possible to have an iPhone with Thunderbolt, but it would be pointless and power hungry. Who needs 10gbps to their phone? It'd need a chip to convert the TB signal to PCIe, then from PCIe to USB to be understood by the ARM CPU, for no advantage over USB at all.
Generally, the metal "plug" part of the connector is actually a shield, and not a ground. The shield is connected to ground however, usually inside the host computer, while the shield and ground are isolated at the peripheral. This helps to prevent electromagnetic interference. So in other words, I doubt Apple would be using the shield as a ground for powering and charging the devices.The iPhone can send power, that's how accessories like the camera to Dock Connector work....
The chips in the HDDs and monitors are client chips, relatively dumb compared to the host chips in the Mac. If the iPhone was a client device, it'd have to turn the PCIe comms from TB to something the ARM CPU could understand, which'd waste a lot of CPU cycles. Right now the iPhone couldn't be a TB host, the TB controller chip is about half the width of the phone itself. But in any case, the ARM CPU doesn't have PCIe by any stretch of the imagination, so it just wouldn't...
Looks very 1990s to me. And as others have said, being "square" isn't exactly a wonderful image to paint of yourself...
It's partly to do with SSD controllers utilising RAID 0 across the many NAND chips in the SSDs, so reads/writes occur to the (individually slow) NAND chips simultaneously. iOS devices have a maximum of two NAND chips (16GB devices have one chip), so the RAID 0 only doubles the speed. I think it's possible the hardware encryption maxes out at ~20MB/sec too.So in other words, the iPhone 6/5/4SL wouldn't gain any advantage from USB 3. Apple are unlikely to use USB 3 just for...
Haha, sounds about right Or maybe OS XI: Moggy.
Oh so all those people who say about Windows ballooning in size between XP and Vista aren't talking about bloat? Sorry I didn't realise.Well if that's not a perfect definition of bloat, I don't know what is. Wait, yes I do: Software bloat is a process whereby successive versions of a computer program include an increasing proportion of unnecessary features that are not used by end users, or generally use more system resources than necessary, while offering little or no...
I'm not sure what you see as my arbitrary rules, Apple's the one creating arbitrary rules on which computers can and can't run ML, not me. They're creating unnecessary restrictions on what OSs can run Xcode too, so yes, people with Lion will magically stop being able to write apps for the App Stores at some point when Apple decides to release a Lion-incompatable Xcode update.According to "du -h /mach_kernel", the Lion kernel is 15mb, with 32 bit support. Not exactly...