or Connect

Posts by Elijahg

That's not how it works. You don't have to fill each block completely, you can write as little as 1 byte and a whole 128kb block will have to be erased and rewritten. As I posted a while ago over at MacRumors, for a 128gb drive, thats just one million 1 byte writes across the disk. 1 million bytes is about 1 megabyte. So that's just 1mb written, and you've used up one write cycle on every block on the drive. Of course that's an extreme case, there are hefty caches to...
I didn't think the Air had a custom firmware on their SSDs? Not sure though. I read reports of the early (SATA) Air ones slowing down after a few months of use, so any custom firmware on those wasn't doing its job or didn't have garbage collection. The only custom firmware I know of that Apple's used on their HDDs is in the Thunderbolt iMac.It's not in System Profiler, you need to use smartctl to get the info. It's not that easy to build yourself, so just get something...
NAND cells wear out because they have to be zapped with about 10 volts to erase them. Each zap damages them slightly, until eventually, they can no longer be erased or written to reliably. If you only ever read from a SSD, it would last forever. CPUs and RAM don't suffer this problem because they don't hold the value stored in them permanently. DRAM resets to zero unless it's refreshed around 20 times a second, and CPUs don't have permanent storage, just temporary cache...
Intel's controller understands NTFS and FAT, so it knows what areas the filesystem has tagged as deleted. No controllers (that I know of) understand HFS, so they don't know what parts of the SSD aren't in use. That's the idea of TRIM, the OS that understands the filesystem can tell the SSD the areas that can be erased.Some SSDs (Sandforce-based in particular) use extra space that's not visible to the host, so they always have some blocks erased ready to be written to....
Thanks for the link, I do use this app already and so I do get TRIM on my OCZ SSD. Just Apple still doesn't officially support non-Apple SSD TRIM for some reason.Apple is known for doing stupid things like having custom firmware on their HDDs so you can't use a standard off-the-shelf one; or gluing displays together so you have to buy a whole new unit when a cable fails.Precisely, which is why I'm trying to disprove the rumour of them being stupid enough to solder flash...
The ultra-high erase count drives are only SLC ones, not much cheaper MLC used in consumer products. Going on how long (i.e. years) it took Apple to implement TRIM, I wouldn't be so sure they've got anything special going on with the swap space. Even now TRIM is artificially limited to Apple-shipped drives.
Where did you get that from? Flash is reliable yes, but the lifetime isn't so good. Thats completely false if the drive is written to a lot, SSDs have a limited number of erase/write cycles. Mine is just a year old, and already has 25% of its erase/write cycles consumed. I have virtual memory turned off and write to the drive as little as possible. Turning VM off on a device that could have as little as 2GB RAM isn't practical, and the SSD would be used a lot for swap...
I haven't a clue how you dreamt that up. ARM is certainly a lot more than just a patent licensor, they design CPU cores themselves, and license those designs. Where do you think these new ARM CPU designs are coming from? Thin air?
I think this device could be construed as prior art for Samsung's claim of tethering a phone to a computer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9dpXHnJXaE I agree with Apple's case though, Samsung's own designs are far from special. I guess their design team thinks it's all fine to just rip off Apple's unique designs, but are so amazed when Apple complains about it. Samsung seems to have a similar mentality to Chinese companies, ripping off other company's designs and IP...
So RIM have a time machine too? Why are they running a year ahead?