or Connect

Posts by Elijahg

I think you'll find many people with a $5000 Mac Pro 1,1 are on Lion. Even the oldest Mac Pros are fast, faster than some of Apple's latest machines. My Mac Pro 1,1 runs Rage at 40fps no problem, but it needs Lion. What happens when apps are updated to require ML, and autoupdate and break like Apple's botched iPhoto update few weeks back? As I said before and you ignored, why could they support machines for 7 years in the classic era, but not now on a modern OS?
You obviously care enough about it to "whine" in the other direction. What about devs who want to write iOS apps? If Apple's previous actions are anything to go by, the version of Xcode released after ML won't support Lion, so devs're going to need a new Mac to submit apps to Apple. Another artificial limitation to try to force people to fork out more for new hardware.
I've seen quite a few people saying how well it runs on their old machines, actually. People've been running it on P4s and it's pretty speedy.Of course Apple's so strapped for cash they can't hire a couple of devs to fix/compile/test the 64 bit kernel on 32-bit EFI machines. The kernel doesnt really change much between releases anyway, so there wouldn't be that much to test. It's mainly the frameworks above the kernel that are modified.Why was Apple advertising the Mac...
Absolutely nothing to do with that at all. Upgraded Mac Pros don't work when they have GPUs that support OpenGL 4.It's an entirely artificial limitation, as per usual with Apple, trying to force people to upgrade. Only thing is, there's so little in ML that people really need, they're not gonna plonk down $2000+ to upgrade a perfectly usable (and fast) 2006/7 Mac Pro to some "new" Mac Pro that's not been updated in years, which may well end up being unsupported three years...
I agree it'd be no good to have a sloped side like the air, if it had then it'd pretty much be a 15" MBA. However, if the flat on each side was just a millimetre or two more, then an "old" Magsafe adapter would have worked fine. The old Magsafe plug isn't exactly fat. With an extra few millimetres they might even have been able to (gasp) have upgradable RAM.Funny. Of course there are cases where new ports and standards are necessary, but this new Magsafe connector has...
    I'm not sure where you got that from?    I think it's ridiculous that Apple keeps introducing different ports and standards. As others have said, the old Magsafe port was fine on the Air which is half the thickness of the MacBook Pro, now we have to have yet another adapter for this new "Magsafe 2" fad. It's all very well making things thinner, but if you need to cart a bagful of adapters with you wherever you go, that seems to defeat the purpose somewhat. Of course...
Have you ever tried actually pulling a Kensington lock out of the slot? We had a heap of iMacs stolen, every Kensington lock (genuine ones, not cheap Chinese rip-offs) had broken at the cross section of the T. We experimented with them afterward, and a sharp tug at the correct angle and the T just snaps right off. Complete waste of time and absolutely no security at all.   I do agree with you about the Mac Pro though, and I'm sure many others do too. I'm still on a 2006...
No.
Looks like Apple just released Java update 2012-003, which claims to remove the flashback trojan.
Apple managed to fit a Geforce 5200 into the 12" PowerBook and get good battery life around 6-7 years ago. You'd think they'd be able to take some miniaturisation cues from the iPhone and fit a dedicated GPU into a 13" chassis too.