or Connect

Posts by Elijahg

I completely agree with you. The Mac Pros back in 2006 weren't quite so overpriced as they are now, the latest ones are utterly extortionate. It's no wonder people aren't buying them. I have a 2006 Mac Pro that's still going great, albeit with a slightly dodgy PSU. Buying an initially more expensive machine that's upgradeable really makes sense to me. My MP cost about £2500 in 2006, but if it wasn't for upgradeable graphics, I would have been forced to sell on the...
So VMware just released Fusion 4, why isn't there a press release disguised as a story for that too? MacRumors reported it, but didn't make it seem like it was paid for.
I've tried Parallels and Fusion, and even though it's not had any significant updates for a while, I still prefer Fusion. In the long run it's much, much cheaper to keep Fusion up to date, as Parallels seem to tout a new version with X new features and X times faster "for only $$" every few months. Fusion seems more Mac-like too somehow, and in my case, it actually works with my Boot Camp partition. Parallels goes through the setup procedure with the same partition every...
The extreme cases no, but it was just to illustrate that it's not as clear cut as "you have to fill the drive up 3000 times to wear it out". The OS does write small bits and pieces to the drive all the time, which soon add up. Especially when you can round up a significant number of writes to 128kb, the erase block size.You contradict yourself, earlier you said:If that's the case, then why have you already used 10% of your erase cycles after a year? That's assuming you...
That's not how it works. You don't have to fill each block completely, you can write as little as 1 byte and a whole 128kb block will have to be erased and rewritten. As I posted a while ago over at MacRumors, for a 128gb drive, thats just one million 1 byte writes across the disk. 1 million bytes is about 1 megabyte. So that's just 1mb written, and you've used up one write cycle on every block on the drive. Of course that's an extreme case, there are hefty caches to...
I didn't think the Air had a custom firmware on their SSDs? Not sure though. I read reports of the early (SATA) Air ones slowing down after a few months of use, so any custom firmware on those wasn't doing its job or didn't have garbage collection. The only custom firmware I know of that Apple's used on their HDDs is in the Thunderbolt iMac.It's not in System Profiler, you need to use smartctl to get the info. It's not that easy to build yourself, so just get something...
NAND cells wear out because they have to be zapped with about 10 volts to erase them. Each zap damages them slightly, until eventually, they can no longer be erased or written to reliably. If you only ever read from a SSD, it would last forever. CPUs and RAM don't suffer this problem because they don't hold the value stored in them permanently. DRAM resets to zero unless it's refreshed around 20 times a second, and CPUs don't have permanent storage, just temporary cache...
Intel's controller understands NTFS and FAT, so it knows what areas the filesystem has tagged as deleted. No controllers (that I know of) understand HFS, so they don't know what parts of the SSD aren't in use. That's the idea of TRIM, the OS that understands the filesystem can tell the SSD the areas that can be erased.Some SSDs (Sandforce-based in particular) use extra space that's not visible to the host, so they always have some blocks erased ready to be written to....
Thanks for the link, I do use this app already and so I do get TRIM on my OCZ SSD. Just Apple still doesn't officially support non-Apple SSD TRIM for some reason.Apple is known for doing stupid things like having custom firmware on their HDDs so you can't use a standard off-the-shelf one; or gluing displays together so you have to buy a whole new unit when a cable fails.Precisely, which is why I'm trying to disprove the rumour of them being stupid enough to solder flash...
The ultra-high erase count drives are only SLC ones, not much cheaper MLC used in consumer products. Going on how long (i.e. years) it took Apple to implement TRIM, I wouldn't be so sure they've got anything special going on with the swap space. Even now TRIM is artificially limited to Apple-shipped drives.