or Connect

Posts by sequitur

I spoke too soon.  The connection from client to server lasted less than an hour.  However, I can reestablish it by using the server to re-open the connection to the client.   The server stays  connected to the client, but the client doesn’t stay connected to the server for more than a few minutes now. The server just disappears from the client end of the network.     Is there a way to keep the connection open?  I don't know if this is a hardware or software problem....
Eureka!!!  I thought I'd followed that procedure but evidently hadn't when setting up the new computer.  Actually, I still couldn't see the server from the 21" until I sent the first item (a file) from the server iMac to the 21".  After following your suggestion and as soon as that first file appeared on the 21", I could see the server and was connected to it.  Hopefully, it stays connected.    Thanks, Marvin. You da man.    I think I got a good deal on the iMac -...
My MBP died. Since I don’t need a mobile computer anymore, I bought a Best Buy, Black Friday, mid 2014, 21.5” iMac for $900.  Great machine; however I’m having a problem networking it with my 27” iMac.   Wireless routers hadn’t worked in the past, so I’d been using WD LiveWire through electric lines. That worked fine for about a day or so to connect the computers, but then quit working after I set the 27” to access the 21”. Now, I can access the 21” from the 27”” but not...
Best Buy has released their Doorbusters ad for Black Friday 2014. This year, Best Buy will be opening at 5 p.m. on Thanksgiving to kick off the Black Friday fun a few hours early. Best Buy will stay open til 1 a.m on Friday, and then reopen at 8 a.m. Some of the deals will be available online at BestBuy.com, but some deals are available in-store only. Some of this year’s best Black Friday offers from Best Buy include discounts on video game console bundles, smartphones,...
Thanks, Marvin,   I appreciate your info and suggestions.  I feel I can always rely on you to set me straight when I'm in a quandary about something.  I'd be rather helpless without advice from you and other AI members.  
 Thanks. I like the idea that the Mini would be quieter. Any thoughts on when it would go fanless?  I'd like a Mini to replace my defunct MBP as I don't need a laptop anymore, but I'd rather not wait and wonder when the change will happen.  I couldn't find that info on MacRumors. They suggest buying a Mini now.  
What are the chances that the Mini will have Broadwell in the near future? Would Broadwell improve the Mini? In what way?  
The 32GB thumb drive has Yosemite on it.  However, now my MBP doesn't respond by pressing C at start up nor Command R for recovery.  The screen shows purple and/or green stripes, and the MBP repeatedly tries to boot, but doesn’t.  Then it overheats within a few minutes and has to be turned off.      What else could I try? I've looked online for fixes but they cost more than the MBP is worth.  I'd rather put that money into a new Mini. I'm not certain that it's the HDD...
I finally got my early 2008 MBP w/Yosemite to recognize the 32GB thumb drive and repaired permissions and the internal HDD.  However, the MBP is overheating within minutes of booting and gets extremely flaky.   I decided to ditch it and get a replacement.  I tried using Disk Utility to erase the internal HDD, but unfortunately, "Erase" and "Security Options" are grayed out, so I'm assuming the internal HDD can't be erased. I deleted whatever files I could and did a...
I’ve been trying to do a clean install of Yosemite on my MBP, but have had problems. I’ve read how to do a clean install which, of course, requires Yosemite to be downloaded to an external HDD.    It won’t install on any one of my three WD Black external HDD’s (two are 1TB and the third 2TB.)  At the last moment, I get an error log but no installation. I still don’t understand how to correct that problem.     Next, I bought an 8GB thumb drive that Apple support...