or Connect

Posts by sequitur

I've been using a freeby, BetterTouchTool. It's easy to set up for just about any mouse or trackpad movement.    http://download.cnet.com/BetterTouchTool/3000-18491_4-75054737.html
That did it.  The afp:// number was off by one digit at the end: ——— .100, instead of .101 which worked after it was changed.     It’s been over 8 hours and the link is still up, so I’m assuming that was indeed the problem. It’s puzzling that .100 ever worked at all.   Many thanks, Marvin.
The default is: “Put hard disks to sleep whenever possible’ & “Wake for network access.”   I left "Wake for network access" checked and  tried unchecking and then re-checking “Put hard disks to sleep when possible”, but neither solves the problem.  So I assume that’s not what’s causing it.     What’s confusing is that there’s a link from server to client but not in the other direction, and I haven’t been able to re-establish it at all now.  The server doesn’t show up...
I spoke too soon.  The connection from client to server lasted less than an hour.  However, I can reestablish it by using the server to re-open the connection to the client.   The server stays  connected to the client, but the client doesn’t stay connected to the server for more than a few minutes now. The server just disappears from the client end of the network.     Is there a way to keep the connection open?  I don't know if this is a hardware or software problem....
Eureka!!!  I thought I'd followed that procedure but evidently hadn't when setting up the new computer.  Actually, I still couldn't see the server from the 21" until I sent the first item (a file) from the server iMac to the 21".  After following your suggestion and as soon as that first file appeared on the 21", I could see the server and was connected to it.  Hopefully, it stays connected.    Thanks, Marvin. You da man.    I think I got a good deal on the iMac -...
My MBP died. Since I don’t need a mobile computer anymore, I bought a Best Buy, Black Friday, mid 2014, 21.5” iMac for $900.  Great machine; however I’m having a problem networking it with my 27” iMac.   Wireless routers hadn’t worked in the past, so I’d been using WD LiveWire through electric lines. That worked fine for about a day or so to connect the computers, but then quit working after I set the 27” to access the 21”. Now, I can access the 21” from the 27”” but not...
Best Buy has released their Doorbusters ad for Black Friday 2014. This year, Best Buy will be opening at 5 p.m. on Thanksgiving to kick off the Black Friday fun a few hours early. Best Buy will stay open til 1 a.m on Friday, and then reopen at 8 a.m. Some of the deals will be available online at BestBuy.com, but some deals are available in-store only. Some of this year’s best Black Friday offers from Best Buy include discounts on video game console bundles, smartphones,...
Thanks, Marvin,   I appreciate your info and suggestions.  I feel I can always rely on you to set me straight when I'm in a quandary about something.  I'd be rather helpless without advice from you and other AI members.  
 Thanks. I like the idea that the Mini would be quieter. Any thoughts on when it would go fanless?  I'd like a Mini to replace my defunct MBP as I don't need a laptop anymore, but I'd rather not wait and wonder when the change will happen.  I couldn't find that info on MacRumors. They suggest buying a Mini now.  
What are the chances that the Mini will have Broadwell in the near future? Would Broadwell improve the Mini? In what way?