or Connect

Posts by sequitur

You’re probably sick of hearing about D&D problems as I am of having them. The fix is in - but not permanently.  Every so often I have to run the Terminal program, relaunch Finder, and then D&D works - for a while. The last time I just relaunched Finder and D&D worked, so I’m going to try that until that doesn’t work any more.     Apple, tear down this (D&D) wall~!!!
Linc Davis’ fix worked for a while, then quit; however, D&D can be reestablished by repeating the procedure.  No restart necessary.  Not perfect but better than no D&D at all.
Sorry about beating this dead horse. I found another D&D fix that doesn't require a restart. While it's not specifically for Mavericks, It's working now (but for how long? )   Linc Davis Re: cannot drag and drop in osx 10.7.5 Sep 23, 2013 8:03 AM (in response to Pc8975)   Take these steps if the cursor changes from an arrow to a white "prohibited" symbol when you try to move an icon on the Desktop.     Sometimes the problem may be solved just by logging out or...
Crap! Back to square one.  Drag and drop worked for about 17 hours but quit about 15 minutes ago.  Even If I could recall the change I made via terminal, I wouldn’t do it again as it required a restart. I'll keep looking for a fix that's more permanent - if it exists.
  I’ve checked out Apple Support Communities, Mac-forums, etc.  The drag and drop problem goes back at least to 2005.  Over the years, there have been many, many users’ complaints that they lost D&D after upgrading to new OS versions, not just Mavericks.     I’ve been trying the fixes, but the only one that worked so far was inserting a line in Terminal.  I would have included it, but I couldn’t find it again as there were so many complaints. Sorry.   Other fixes...
Before doing the  clean install of Mavericks, I would like to download it onto a USB flash drive.     I read that the Mavericks file size is 5.3GB; my (blank) USB drive is 8GB (DiskUtility says it’s just under 8GB).  However, when I try to copy it onto the drive, I’m told Mavericks needs 1.26GB more space.   What am I doing wrong?  Why does M require more than 9GB if it’s only 5.3GB? What can I do to make it fit? 
I've been having many problems with Mavericks. I need to do a clean install and don't want to have the same problems I have now; therefore, I want to eliminate as many possible trouble makers as possible.  Since I don't know what they are, I'll reintroduce them later, maybe one at a time. If you know of a better way, I'd appreciate your suggestions.
Thanks,  KoSH,   I had used Time Machine in the past, but when I had a meltdown awhile back, Time Machine backups were nowhere to be found.  They reappeared when I "upgraded" to Mavericks. I'm going to trust it again but with fingers crossed.     Options is good as far as it goes but cumbersome at best.   I would still like to know what other AI members are using.  Is CCC the best for backing up specific files or not?  What is?  I still need to 'pick and choose'...
I'm probably asking in vain, but is it possible to pick and choose selected files to back up in Time Machine?  Does anyone else have a favorite back up system? Will it back up selected files?
I’m interested in finding a good - better - best back up app. I’m currently using Superduper, but I need one now that would let me pick and choose specific files to copy.     Carbon Copy Cloner will do that, but my older copy doesn’t work with Mavericks. I’m planning to buy the latest version which is said to work with Mavericks.    I’d like to know what other AI members are using and if anyone has found a better app or method than CCC.   Thanks