or Connect

Posts by sequitur

I see that it is an old thread, but colleenamareena asked the question 1 day 12 hours ago. I was answering that post.  Wrong answer, of course.
On an iMac, this works. Right click on the icon. If 'customize toolbar' pops up, click that, then when the customize window opens, drag the icon off the toolbar.I'm not familiar with iPod so I don't know if that would work or not.
I have had a bunch of similar problems after upgrading to Mavericks.  One thing that has helped occasionally (but not permanently) is 'Force Quit' (command - option - escape) and then relaunching 'Finder'.  So every time I have a problem, I take a few seconds to relaunch Finder and sometimes it works.   Hope this works for you.  
Methods described in Help and online & drag and drop / copy and paste, FAILED to import old contacts into Mavericks’ Contacts. As I needed those contacts, I was determined to keep hunting for a solution.   Eureka! I found one.  I ‘Exported’ Address Book from MBP / SL.  It showed as a vCard on the MBP desktop.  When clicking it, it just showed where it came from, Address Book    I ‘shared’ the file onto Desktop on my iMac.  When I clicked on it, it entered the old...
No, I'm not using the external HDD for a boot drive.  I found that one reason it now won't eject is that I have Sharing on from iMac to MBP. I get that error message occasionally when trying to eject the ext HDD.  IF I turn sharing off, SOMETIMES, the Ext HDD will eject.  This wasn't the case with SL. I could eject an ext HDD without turning off Sharing. My biggest problem :I am still having problems importing Contacts that weren't on my ISP's list.  I've gone through the...
Thanks.     Another question, but don't feel you must answer if you're uncomfortable doing so -    For the present, I'm using my external backup as my main HDD. It's a new WD black caviar 2TB HDD in a Rosewill enclosure w/fan.  It doesn’t mount the first time it’s turned on but requires being turned off and back on to do so. It also resists being ejected and has to be force ejected.  Is it okay to leave it on 24/7 or should I just go through the machinations of turning...
I accept your chastisement; however, in my defense, I’m in my 80’s and this old dog probably can’t be taught very many new tricks. At one time, years ago, I taught (command line) DOS, dBase II, WordPerfect, Lotus123, and later, Fortran at a local college, but technology has left me far behind.  My focus continues to narrow, and what I used to know is now obsolete.    Now, it’s about all I can do to teach English grammar.   However, aging memory still permits...
Then, why doesn't Apple explain how to do it?  If a user is supposed to RTFM, what manual? I switched to a Mac after twenty some years of using a PC because it was supposed to be more intuitive. At one time, I thought it was, but now everything seems to be hidden or requires becoming certified or requires a search online to learn Apple's secrets. I must admit it's still better than Window that I have to use at work - but it's still not intuitive. The problems I've had with...
Of course, you're right, but then so am I:  Apple, in its infinite wisdom, hid it so idiots like me couldn't access it and screw it up.
That probably would have worked in another OS X; however, there is NO users' Library in the Mavericks that downloaded.  If it's hidden, I don't know how to unhide it.   In this copy, the only items that appear under Users are Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music, Pictures, and Public. Nothing else. NO library.   HDD shows Applications, Library (which has Application Support that doesn't contain Address Book), System, and Users.  Nothing else.   If you can...