or Connect

Posts by sequitur

It's been said that as a last resort, read the f_______ manual or in my case, read the f________ instructions.     "Red faced, he rebooted to the external HDD, opened Disk Utility, and pressed Erase (for the internal HDD)."  Lo and behold, it began erasing the HDD. Next step is to install Mavericks 9.1 and possibly, with fingers crossed and  breath held in, it will work, and troubles will vanish.  Or is that too much to ask for?   Thanks Muppetry and AI insider.  What...
Okay. I've backed up the HDD and made a bootable copy.  I'm ready to do a Disk Utility erase; however, Erase is grayed out.  It tells me "This is the startup partition. You can't erase it."   What do I do now?
"Then reinstall the applications that you need - don't just reimport all the baggage and preferences from your old system, one or more of which are probably causing these problems."   I appreciate the advice. The problem is that I don't know what the "baggage and preferences" are that are causing the problem.  Won't all previous preferences be automatically reimported with a backup? I don't know how to separate the wheat from the chaff - which is why I haven't done a...
Tried deleting Safari first and then downloaded Mavericks again. That didn't work either.  When Safari is opened, Activity Monitor and Memory Cleaner show memory rapidly drain away until it's just a few K. Scary.      Activity Monitor shows Safari and many, many instances of Safari Web Content and continues adding them until memory is about gone.   Clicking on the Safari icon indicates many 'open' pages; however, they must be hidden. I don't see them anywhere.   Quit...
Twice. No joy. Safari just doesn't work other than sucking up memory.
Mavericks and the Safari version that came with it.
I’m fairly certain that the problem stems from Safari.  It gobbles up huge amounts of memory but doesn’t access URL’s. I’m using Firefox which is okay but would prefer to use a ‘workable’ Safari.   I’ve tried to find a Mavericks Safari to download but have been unsuccessful.  I tried downloading a previous Safari but my computer won’t recognize it.  I’ve downloaded Mavericks again but that  Safari won’t work either.     Is there a way to download a current Safari by...
I desperately need help.  Yesterday a.m., my iMac went nuts.  The Finder ‘Go’ doesn’t function at all. The sidebar won’t open so I can’t get to Applications, Computer, Home, or anything else under Finder ‘Go’. The Menu Bar goes gray when I try to use 'Go'. Since I can't get to the sidebar 'Computer', I can't access an external back up HDD.   Safari has disappeared from the dock; however, Activity Monitor shows many, many ‘Safari Web Content’ items and is taking up huge...
Thanks. I was able to remove the members name from the list.
What is a Block list?  I was reading some posts when a screen popped up and said it was adding an AI member to my block list.  I couldn't find a way to reverse it nor can I find any information about a 'block' list. 'Search' doesn't find it.   How can I find it and remove that name from it?