or Connect

Posts by philipm

Who wouldn't love failures like Apple's?
This whole article starts from the very questionable premiss that Samsung and Apple’s businesses are similar enough to compare advertising spend and draw conclusions without drilling down deeper.   Samsung is a massive conglomerate that makes everything from raw components to household appliances, many of which are businesses in which Apple has zero presence. You can’t compare their advertising spend with Apple’s unless you can break it down by division or sector.
 This is my point: they are increasingly designed to be hard to repair even if you are a trained technician. If you like that, fine. Just don't drop one or spill coffee on it.
 If you don’t want to change a flat tyre on your car without calling for help, I can see your POV. But I don’t agree computers are so far out of the hobbyist realm that no one should want to work on their own. Cars used to be a whole lot easier to maintain than they are now, and I used to do a lot more work on cars than I do now, but they also needed a lot more work. My current car, doing low km per year, needs an annual service, and pretty much nothing else but refuelling...
This is all well and good but until such time as they put the human back into consideration in design for disassembly and reassembly they are starting to lose me. I want to buy machines that can be repaired or even occasionally upgraded. The original Mac was designed to be hard to take apart and with RAM soldered in, but at least it wasn’t glued together. Old habits die hard.   My latest purchase, one of the last of the previous generation MacBook Pro 15", is tricky to...
 Good you brought this up. Nonetheless an “upgrade” that loses features is not a brilliant move, especially when they are useful features. I wonder to what extent this is a merging of the iOS and Mac codebases – there are some things that are much harder to do with a purely finger interface. For example: in Keynote on the Mac, you can edit an object in a group by double-click selecting it. If the group is part of an animation, that means you can tweak details of an...
So it’s a good guess that only the legacy 13" will have user-upgradeable RAM? Presumably the new models are pretty much the same internally as the old ones including soldered-in RAM. How soon before someone gets one and tears it down?
I’m sure you could put together something cheaper from a screwdriver shop but I just tried to configure something similar at Dell to compare, and with a slower CPU configuration and less RAM, it came out about $2.8k. I couldn’t spec it with all the parts Apple includes because Dell doesn’t e.g. have Thunderbolt on their options list. The AMD D300 seems to new, since I can’t find anywhere but in the Mac Pro PR, so I don’t know if I specced the Dell with comparable...
 Not those with any sense. OpenCL is more portable.