or Connect

Posts by philipm

Is Doctor Who big in your part of the world? Time Travel does have its benefits. Unless you don’t like Daleks. But seriously, Samsung issues an estimate of numbers ahead of a quarterly report.   In any case, if Samsung is making less profit than Apple with a vastly bigger array of products (TVs, fridges, washing machines etc.) then I wouldn’t be using this to bash Apple.
Forget the SEC. If I were a stockholder, I would be looking at identifying a the rumour mongers who have a big stake in the outcome and launching a class action suit against them. The SEC can follow and put them in jail because by then, they’d have no money to pay for a top-notch lawyer.   I bet Apple’s latest quarterly numbers will blow away the competition. Well, they would, if the competition actually reported their numbers. When I last checked, Microsoft was...
  My watch has never needed support. We are transferring the worst features of the computer industry to consumer products.
  Even The Economist sometimes gets things badly wrong, like siding with climate change denial. BS detection when reading everything is called for.
I find it obnoxious that something can be billed as “free” when it’s an engine for generating sales. Apple should require that this class of app be specifically labelled, and require entering an app store password to download. That way no one can be conned into installing something that their kids (or anyone else) can use to run up big real money expenditure. I’ve run into an iPad game called War Game that’s free and has its own internal game currency, but tries to sell...
Do they have a usable interface for complex selection tasks?   That’s a big reason that I can’t use the iOS version of Keynote for much more than touch-ups. For example, if I need to make an edit on an item in a group that’s animated, on the Mac, I can double-click the item to select it as an individual entity, edit it, and the change is made without losing the grouping or the animation. In the iOS version, you can’t (or couldn’t when I last checked) edit an item in...
  The trouble with MS Office is people think it represents some sort of standard. Send a document to someone with a different OS or different fonts, and the layout goes bananas. PDF is far preferable for this purpose, and recent PDF viewers allow annotations. For collaborative documents, Google Docs, despite limitations on formatting, is far preferable because you can work collectively on one document, rather than sending copies around by email and ending up with multiple...
Funny how when the boot is on the other foot, the arguments are so neatly reversed.   Remember when the Mac had a small fraction of the apps available on DOS and Windows, and Mac users said the number didn’t count, as long as the ones you want exist?   Windows 8 ads are being aired extensively in South Africa, and they are all designed to make the OS look like a toy. Remember when Macs were derided by Windows and DOS users as looking like toys?   The only...
And some are making notebooks held together with glue, 90 screws and a floppy keyboard, a new category, the laptop you can't use on your lap. Who knows what will surface next?I agree with some of the complaints though Apple isn't the worst.
If you've ever been in protest politics you will know "sold out" has another connotation.   I will believe huge queues when I see the evidence.   When the iPad mini launched, Apple sold 3 million iPads in 3 days, and quickly reported the numbers. Claiming huge enthusiasm with no numbers is just empty hype.   I've said this many times but it's worth repeating. The Surface makes no sense in ultrabook price territory. Microsoft has invented a laptop you can't...