or Connect

Posts by philipm

I'm in an office for a few weeks where the equipment is Windows XP. One app needed the proxy set up, and it took me a few hours to figure out that I had to copy the settings from Internet Explorer not from a global system setting, and then from settings for the "LAN" buried a few layers deep. Why, I ask you with tears in my voice, is this (a) not a global system setting and (b) a LAN setting?(I found the information eventually from a help page from the app in question, not...
Speak for your own ISP. Mine caps bandwidth for download after which it gets slower, but upload isn't capped (very typical in smaller countries where most of the interesting content is offshore and hence expensive). And of course ADSL is asymmetric with respect to up and down bandwidth.If you want another example of a European concept vs. US reality, try the ISO-OSI reference model (never implemented but looks great in a text book) versus TCP/IP (made to work well despite...
Maybe if they talk less, they get more work done. So a cell phone in that pricing model is a productivity tool? The history of the two systems makes perfect sense. In the US, a large country with (by that time) no telco monopoly, it would have been hard to implement the European system of location-independent nationwide charging, so a US cell number looks like a wired number, and is a local call in its local call area, so someone must pick up the extra charge of the...
Something else to help you: The best Aussie site for this kind of stuff is Whirlpool. Here's a thread to get you started: iPhone Plan Pricing Comparision.My take on it: the Australian education price for an 8GB iPod Touch is A$399. I would be willing to pay $100 more for the phone functionality and camera (given that I already have a camera and there are hacks out there to make Skype work at least marginally on a Touch). Telstra's price of $279+$30x24 adds up to $999....
"8GB iPhone for $729 without a contract and the 16GB model for $849 without a contract"??!! My WTF response when I saw this was who's going to pay that? Optus includes a "$400 Bonus + 1GB internet browsing" but check out the fine print: "Expires within 30 days of activation." So if you intend to talk a lot in the first month, this is not a terrible deal, but even at Optus's inflated charges for prepaid talk time (35c + 78c per minute), with an average call of 3 minutes,...
Are you telling us to use purchasing power parity (PPP) instead of exchange rates?Theoretically nominal exchange rates should converge to PPP eventually except that the sort of arbitrage where a phone call in one country is more expensive than the equivalent in another country is hard to even out e.g. the way a disparity in US$ to euro vs. Australian$ to euro can get evened out in the markets.That's of course until you get a sufficiently robust voice over IP infrastructure...
The way this is handled not terribly different from the way bad blocks get mapped out of a disk with automatic error detection. Wear levelling may be done at OS level or lower down depending on the system. There is a fair amount of research going on about how exactly to get the best performance out of flash, given that it has different optimal access patterns and this wearing out problem, as compared with disks.Getting back to the main point, smaller overall disk contents...
Yup. On the other hand, my entry-level Nokia's battery is so hard to take out, it's not worth having a spare battery (or for that matter, getting a temp SIM card when traveling overseas). So it technically has a user-replaceable battery but for practical purposes, it's not.I see Nokia is still in business ...
That's not much insurance, What if some better, unpredicted platform shows up? In any case, iPhone doesn't use the Intel architecture (as with iPods, it uses ARM) so they have to maintain portability for that and Darwin allows the option of hobbyists to port to other platforms.I have an old G3 iMac running 10.3.9 which has had many security updates (I stoped short of 10.4 because it's slow enough already) and my G5 iMac is a bit sluggish on 10.5.x.Still, if only for the...
I hope they don't keep dropping the price at this rate. My novel in which the iPhone plays a bit part relies on one being a slightly pricey purchase. Anyway it will be great to have them in Australia. It will be an option for me once I am ready to retire my low-end Nokia. I never saw the point of fancier phones when they were complicated to use. One thing I am not sure I like: auto-switching between networking modes. In some parts of the world these have radically...