or Connect

Posts by philipm

Are you telling us to use purchasing power parity (PPP) instead of exchange rates?Theoretically nominal exchange rates should converge to PPP eventually except that the sort of arbitrage where a phone call in one country is more expensive than the equivalent in another country is hard to even out e.g. the way a disparity in US$ to euro vs. Australian$ to euro can get evened out in the markets.That's of course until you get a sufficiently robust voice over IP infrastructure...
The way this is handled not terribly different from the way bad blocks get mapped out of a disk with automatic error detection. Wear levelling may be done at OS level or lower down depending on the system. There is a fair amount of research going on about how exactly to get the best performance out of flash, given that it has different optimal access patterns and this wearing out problem, as compared with disks.Getting back to the main point, smaller overall disk contents...
Yup. On the other hand, my entry-level Nokia's battery is so hard to take out, it's not worth having a spare battery (or for that matter, getting a temp SIM card when traveling overseas). So it technically has a user-replaceable battery but for practical purposes, it's not.I see Nokia is still in business ...
That's not much insurance, What if some better, unpredicted platform shows up? In any case, iPhone doesn't use the Intel architecture (as with iPods, it uses ARM) so they have to maintain portability for that and Darwin allows the option of hobbyists to port to other platforms.I have an old G3 iMac running 10.3.9 which has had many security updates (I stoped short of 10.4 because it's slow enough already) and my G5 iMac is a bit sluggish on 10.5.x.Still, if only for the...
I hope they don't keep dropping the price at this rate. My novel in which the iPhone plays a bit part relies on one being a slightly pricey purchase. Anyway it will be great to have them in Australia. It will be an option for me once I am ready to retire my low-end Nokia. I never saw the point of fancier phones when they were complicated to use. One thing I am not sure I like: auto-switching between networking modes. In some parts of the world these have radically...
If you think the US has this badly, check out Australia -- not much smaller in land area (80%), less than 10% of the population.If Telstra really can do this (what happened to the earlier rumour that Optus was getting the iPhone contract?), you can bet coverage will be a small fraction of the country. Good for cities, not great for the outback. Those poor goannas: what are they going to do without fast iPhone data rates? Try Telstra's coverage map with a postcode of 0872.
Yup. Just like some people think global warming has ended every time there's a dip in temperatures. If you track any stock (or climate for that matter) you have to distinguish between short-term fluctuation and the long-term trend. Apple's stock should go up again once it becomes clear how the transition from limited markets to closer to world-wide goes for iPhone -- and whether the initial sales are the start of a trend, or just saturation of the new gadget market. If you...
When I first installed 10.4 on my iMac G5, I had a ridiculous number of crashes. Eventually it turned out that the machine had a hardware fault (as I recall, it had new RAM and a new logic board before it became stable).A major new release may have the effect of causing crashes by exposing a hardware fault that the previous system happened by luck not to exercise. If you are having a ridiculous number of crashes, I recommend doing some hardware diagnostics (assuming you've...
Maybe at a detailed level the technique may differ but doesn't a CRT also only have a limited number of colours which are mixed to create the illusion of millions of colours -- e.g. 3 electron beams each of which energizes a different set of phosphor dots respectively glowing red, green or blue, depending on the energy level of the beam when it hits the dot?
If there is anything to whinge about it's tardiness of getting the thing out. It is perfectly understandable that Apple would want to limit developers of the first public release, so as to minimize setting details in stone that may turn out with a wide range of developers to be suboptimal. What would you prefer:they let the whole world develop as fast as possible, and get stuck with an API with ugly features that can't go away because too many people have used them,...