or Connect

Posts by philipm

Looks to me as if the heat issue was while running Vista -- maybe Vista doesn't do power management properly?
I suspect you may be right. According to Samsung, active power on one of their flash devices is a little over 25% of a comparable HDD but you also need to consider that flash wakes from sleep a lot faster than a disk spins up. However: either device is likely to be a tiny fraction of overall system power if everything is in full active mode. In case anyone's wondering why SSD isn't dramatically faster especially on sequential writes, flash doesn't like having the same area...
The idea of doing general purpose computation on a weird and wonderful processor designed for some special purpose like graphics is not new and has always in the past fizzled on the same issues: Amdahl's Law -- the fancy stuff speeds up part of the computation hugely but not all of it; you have to add up everything to get the true speedup iffy to program -- most of these things are very hard to code for, needing a lot of machine dependencies poor compatibility with...
Even more effective: use Apple's bug reporter. You'll need to sign up as a developer first, but there's a free option. I've (mostly) had good results with reporting bugs this way provided they were reproducible. I've seen a similar but not as severe problem on a USB stick but I suspect in that case it was the USB stick at fault, because it didn't work that well on non-Mac systems either. Have you tried other tricks to get control back, like remove the device, then add...
Shop around for a cheaper option, e.g. Battery Geek sell something called Portable Power Station for $250 + $10 for a magsafe cable. 118Wh, not quite as good as 130Wh, but not bad for half the price (this one operates as an extra battery not as a charger replacement, so it's not clear if it will work for the MBA ... maybe in a few days a longer list of options will surface). On balance, I wonder if this is such a big deal. In my own experience, notebook battery failure has...
Discussion here got me thinking about the underlying trends driving pricing of SDDs vs. HDDs: http://opinion-nation.blogspot.com/2...s-macbook.html Not a new issue, but interesting new possibilities are opening up.
That doesn't help you if you are doing interprocessor communication which in any form needs to go through memory. If your processes or threads very seldom communicate and don't have shared data structures, big caches will keep data traffic off lower levels of the hierarchy. Otherwise, you have a big scalability problem. If you are just running a multitasking workload with lots of busy little processes that have nothing to do with each other, as long as Apple has fixed the...
Yup. It's called Amdahl's Law. Study it before you believe "up to" speedup figures.
Having worked on efficient coding of multiprocessor software for my PhD about a decade back (look for it at http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~philip/Publications/), I wouldn't be too surprised if the problem is that too few people understand the performance issues. If you don't have a good grounding in computer architecture with some understanding of OS and other hardware-software interactions, it's hard to get decent speedups. This is especially true as the speed gap between...
There has to be some reason that Apple charges a premium for peripherals over buying them from a parts shop. Make them fix it, for sure.