or Connect

Posts by philipm

And some are making notebooks held together with glue, 90 screws and a floppy keyboard, a new category, the laptop you can't use on your lap. Who knows what will surface next?I agree with some of the complaints though Apple isn't the worst.
If you've ever been in protest politics you will know "sold out" has another connotation.   I will believe huge queues when I see the evidence.   When the iPad mini launched, Apple sold 3 million iPads in 3 days, and quickly reported the numbers. Claiming huge enthusiasm with no numbers is just empty hype.   I've said this many times but it's worth repeating. The Surface makes no sense in ultrabook price territory. Microsoft has invented a laptop you can't...
Apple doesn't really have a problem, not one that "analysts" or the competition have discovered, anyway. All the alleged problems with Apple are nitpicks compared with how Microsoft is floundering. The Surface Pro is a weird  design. Looked at as a tablet that can function as a PC, there is a certain logic to it, except to function as a PC, you need a keyboard and to differentiate from ultrabooks, it has a floppy keyboard (an extra-cost option) and a kickstand, so it's a...
Yet another analyst no one has heard of conjures up a way to capture headlines. Nothing to see here.
      OK, I'll bite.   Michael who?
You forgot one thing. You can use a MacBook Air on your lap.   Floppy keyboard + kickstand = laptop you can't use on your lap. Add to this a stylus to lose and you have an awkwardly designed alternative to an ultrabook (never mind MBA: look at all the other options if you don't like Macs) that exactly proves Jobs's point that a notebook that attempts to encroach in the tablet space has to include awkward compromises.  
  Well, yes. Apple is wanting people to make that comparison with Microsoft Surface Pro. Other than screen res, it's mostly a poorer spec than any decent Ultrabook including the MBA. And it has a floppy keyboard, meaning you must deploy a kickstand to use it, so they’ve invented a laptop you can’t use on your lap.   Others are tying this launch with the Surface Pro launch as if they are competing products. I don’t think so. What Apple really ought to do is set up a...
Interesting point. Last figure I saw: 450-million credit cards on file. That's about $20 per customer in the last quarter -- so Apple is scoring on huge volume of small transactions. I wonder if online store revenue per customer would go down a lot if devices were a lot cheaper. That's the calculation Apple really needs to make. You need to think through what the core business really is. Google's is advertising. Is selling i-content really Appe's core (oh no, unintended...
  Nothing a large hammer can’t fix.
  A conclusion based on incomplete data though it's hard to imagine they would have failed to mention the number if it was way above the million or so analysts talk about.   Let’s see in a year from now if they are still in the tablet market. At least this time, unlike Zune, there’s some chance that the ecosystem will survive since there are OEMs selling alternatives (at least in the Intel CPU space).   I wasted time a while back trying to find Samsung's sales numbers....