or Connect

Posts by philipm

In poorer countries like South Africa they sell in huge numbers as a cheap way to get 3G internet. I moved back to South Africa from Australia and was surprised to see Blackberries everywhere. I can't recall seeing one at all in Australia though no doubt they have a presence.  
Or one of the other suppliers is able to up their volume at a better price. Smells of stock manipulation to me. Maybe SEC should investigate the sources of these rumours and their trading history.
I predict the new product will be the iPhone Shuffle. No screen, randomly chooses which number to call.   There: I have as much information to impart as the “analysts”.   Actually there is a case for Apple to make radically cheaper products. They must be close to maxing out the number of credit cards they have on record, at half a billion, of people willing to buy a premium product. Think about it: to sell 100-million of any one product, they only need for it to...
  You'd think so but back in the day when the Mac was a minority platform and there weren't many Mac apps (they had more syllables though), most developers still chose to go for the saturated Windows world. The allure of the biggest platform is the riches that ensue if you break out of the pack.   It's also interesting how once a platform is seen as mainstream, making big money out of games is OK. The early Mac was specifically not targeted at games developers to avoid...
This all reminds me of the Woody Allen movie where he cases a bank using a camera hidden in a loaf of bread. You don't want to hold something that big next to your face. Why "phablets" anyway? You could just as easily call them "Tabones".
Right on the money. I wonder why M$ backers don't get it. Third time lucky didn't work in the MP3 player market, and won't work in the tablet or smart phone market.   The iPhone was never supposed to get into the corporate environment, but it did on a wave of demand even the most conservative CIO couldn't resist. Same with the iPad.   Surface will flop because it's not a compelling value proposition. To make Office work acceptably you need a keyboard and mouse, and the...
Looks like a brilliant idea, and I'm keen to try one out. Something has to be better than a mouse and keyboard, and touch screens don't really replace them. I've used an iPad long enough to be pretty sure of that, and agree with the Apple assessment that reaching forward to put finger prints on your computer screen as in Windows 8 is ergonomically flawed %u2013 and the evidence is that the Surface is not selling in big numbers. One obvious caveat even before I try one:...

Wind has a capacity factor of about 30% (meaning you get about a third of its rated capacity, allowing that peak demand may not coincide with windy weather). So storing energy a relatively inefficient way may make sense for wind. What's missing in the patent is any indication of efficiency, and generally, conversion between rotational energy and thermal energy is pretty inefficient. This only makes any kind of sense if you only generate the heat when the wind is blowing...
  Back in the 19th century when the US was a developing country and Dickens was the fastest-selling English-language author, the US didn't recognize UK copyrights, and his work was widely distributed in the US without royalties. It worked for the US, why not China?