or Connect

Posts by philipm

You'd think so but back in the day when the Mac was a minority platform and there weren't many Mac apps (they had more syllables though), most developers still chose to go for the saturated Windows world. The allure of the biggest platform is the riches that ensue if you break out of the pack.   It's also interesting how once a platform is seen as mainstream, making big money out of games is OK. The early Mac was specifically not targeted at games developers to avoid...
This all reminds me of the Woody Allen movie where he cases a bank using a camera hidden in a loaf of bread. You don't want to hold something that big next to your face. Why "phablets" anyway? You could just as easily call them "Tabones".
Right on the money. I wonder why M$ backers don't get it. Third time lucky didn't work in the MP3 player market, and won't work in the tablet or smart phone market.   The iPhone was never supposed to get into the corporate environment, but it did on a wave of demand even the most conservative CIO couldn't resist. Same with the iPad.   Surface will flop because it's not a compelling value proposition. To make Office work acceptably you need a keyboard and mouse, and the...
Looks like a brilliant idea, and I'm keen to try one out. Something has to be better than a mouse and keyboard, and touch screens don't really replace them. I've used an iPad long enough to be pretty sure of that, and agree with the Apple assessment that reaching forward to put finger prints on your computer screen as in Windows 8 is ergonomically flawed %u2013 and the evidence is that the Surface is not selling in big numbers. One obvious caveat even before I try one:...

Wind has a capacity factor of about 30% (meaning you get about a third of its rated capacity, allowing that peak demand may not coincide with windy weather). So storing energy a relatively inefficient way may make sense for wind. What's missing in the patent is any indication of efficiency, and generally, conversion between rotational energy and thermal energy is pretty inefficient. This only makes any kind of sense if you only generate the heat when the wind is blowing...
  Back in the 19th century when the US was a developing country and Dickens was the fastest-selling English-language author, the US didn't recognize UK copyrights, and his work was widely distributed in the US without royalties. It worked for the US, why not China?
Quite. iOS is at core a port of OS X to a new platfom, with a fair amount stripped out. No confusion, because it has a different name. The common branding is the Apple logo. Why is Microsoft unable to leverge their own name and logo as a brand? Windows is only one of many products they sell.
To put in context how silly this is: imagine if Apple had launched the MacPad, a tablet that ran a munged mix of Mac apps (but only those ported to a new CPU) and touch-screen apps. Can't imagine this? Luckily, neither could anyone at Apple. Microsoft doesn't lack imagination. The problem is they have the wrong kind.
Weird how this story spread with so many misconceptions (not all in this article and comments). eBay doesn't run stores. eBay customers can set up stores. It's not at all unusual to sell through eBay at a fixed price, rather than an auction. It's very unlikely Apple set this up themselves because they'd have to charge sales tax in every state where they operate (probably all states).   The seller specifically claims the items are "Apple certified refurbished" which...