or Connect

Posts by philipm

Had they made some tiny numbers like 1,000 minis and most of the sales were the new big iPad, they wouldn't be rushing to make more.
  Good point. A few months back I tried to find Samsung numbers and couldn't. If they are out there, they aren't anywhere easy to find.
  It's better than Microsoft's report on the early sales of Surface. Seen that?
  Currently, yes. I just hope they don't forget that good UNIX compatibility is important for higher ed. I use Macs and Linux pretty much interchangeably, and Windows is a terrible choice if you want to do this, unless you're prepared tp run all your Linux stuff on a virtualizer.
  Lose money on every one made and make it up in volume. I like.
  Amazon makes money selling books and anything they and partners can sell online. Fire helps direct customers their way. Google is mainly in the advertising business, and Android also helps with that. Both also sell cloud services (storage, ability to run distributed apps).   Apple does most of that as well as making steep margins on hardware. A sweet place to be but not the only one.   I don't know what business Microsoft thinks they are in, and I'm not sure they know...
  What's your source for this? This article says you're wrong. This article agrees with your figure but points out that the figure of merit is the % of funds collected that get to the victims, and in the RC case, this is 92%. Here's a more recent article that puts the CEO salary at $500k (one year, 2010, she was paid double to cover relocating costs), and looks the most authoritative of the three.   The nice thing about the Internet is you can find stuff out so easily....
Great they are doing this. Don't forget also countries like Haiti that, in terms of ability to provide their own relief, were hit much harder.
  When Surface was announced, I had my doubts. Now we know more, and Apple has announced a new version of the full-sized iPad, those doubts are reinforced.   Microsoft's key dilemma: how do they scale up to a low-cost app market that's comparable to Android or iOS without destroying the profits on their current expensive product line? If you could get Office on Windows RT for an iOS/Android-level price, wouldn't that annoy Windows users paying far more?
  So 90% of blocked web traffic will now originate from iPads?