or Connect

Posts by philipm

Why should this be a secret? Developer membership is inexpensive (it starts at free) and Apple presumably wants cases and accessories to be designed properly. Here's another example: https://developer.apple.com/resources/cases/Case-Design-Guidelines.pdf
I'm not sure if I understand the CA jury system, since I live in a country that doesn't do juries. I did live in Australia for a while and served on a jury there once on a criminal case, and we had clear instructions not to consider anything we knew from anywhere but the courtroom, and to keep the jury room deliberations confidential.   The first part appears to apply in this trial, so a mistrial could be a problem. There's also a pretty good reason to maintain jury-room...
If Microsoft likes squares, how about arranging them into a cube? That's slightly more of a catch-up on Steve:  
  Sigh. You beat me to it. Apple = cool. Microsoft = squares. How 1960s.
Apple's big value add is an ecosystem that works relatively seamlessly, not a rectangular shape or a particular design of an icon. Not only is this case without merit (the patents as described mostly fail the obviousness test, and some like design of an icon are more clearly in the copyright than patent space), but they are obscuring the fact of their key competitive advantage by going after Samsung like this. Android fills a different need for people who want more...
First, developers already have to code for screen size if they want to target iPhone and iPad. Second, they now need to allow for retina and not. The biggest argument against this possibility is that Apple's Human Interface Guidelines clearly differentiate iPhone and iPad but do not recommend specifically generalising for arbitrary screen size. This is a very different issue than allowing for display variations on a conventional windowing interface because a view has to...
Two trolls in a row. You must have a lot of time on your hands.
I've never used that site. I like tripadvisor mainly for reviews by real people who've used the services. Finding the best price is easy: search for "best price" and whatever else defines what you want to do, and see what the googles turn up.   If they really are doing this, in any case, they are being idiotic. They are confusing a tendency to appreciate better value despite a higher price with a penchant for over-paying.   I don't buy Macs because they are more...
The M$ announcement has 2 major problems: no hint of how they can match the Android and Apple app ecosystems without nuking their existing app pricing model it could scare off OEMs who have the option to develop for Android instead   More here.   I've just finished reading Walter Isaacson's biography of Jobs and one of the fascinating details is the provenance of the iPad. A Microsoft employee at a party kept on pushing his "vision" of a table that...
So Ballmer thinks he can get close to Apple's success by copying the jerk side of the Jobs persona. There's also the perfectionism, the sense of style and the ability to get the best out of people.   I don't understand why the media have been so conned into reporting this as the product that will knock down the iPad. That story has been done so often it's become ridiculous. The only thing Microsoft adds to the game is some hardware innovation that no one really...