or Connect

Posts by aaarrrgggh

Good Reader is perhaps the definitive app for enterprise functionality; you can access SAMBA shares, ftp/sftp, mail, dropbox, webdav... and mark up PDFs, view photos, etc. I wish Apple would buy them and really market the product, because people just don't understand what it can do; it is effectively the app that defines use of a tablet over a more clunky device.
...yeah, that strategy cost me more than I would have thought possible in 2012. Specific to the context of my advice, selling puts is not a good investing neophyte strategy.The reason I personally am skeptical in the near term is that I simply think there won't be any real news to change sentiment dramatically. Today's performance is encouraging, though. My portfolio is 75-80% Apple, and last time I calculated it there was a 2:1 leveraging with options and margin. The...
While I am bullish on Apple, I also tend to agree that there is risk that Apple will linger in the 100-115 range until October. I have my price that I am willing to buy more shares, but since I have too much of my portfolio in Apple as it is now, I feel that any additional investment needs to be at "can't pass up" prices. The marginal gains vs the risk just doesn't warrant it *for me*. But, if you are a young investor with some money saved up, it offers a great entry...
"Betting against the market is a fool's errand." The stock is down because people aren't willing to put more money into the stock, even at these levels. While I am an order of magnitude more confident in AAPL now than I was in 8/2012, I am not going to try to catch a falling knife again. History makes me think it will drop to $90 soon. (History being I have calls with $100 strike.) You need more investors like Icahn to want the stock in large numbers to make a...
Just one more useless data point, but I love my iPad and it works in ways that my 6 (or a 6+) never could. It also works in many ways a 12" tablet never could-- it fits into my generic portfolio along with a notepad and other materials. It also does things a laptop doesn't work well for. Today I was at multiple job sites. My iPad was my camera, 30x42" drawing viewer, VPN gateway, file server gateway, note editor, and a few other things. The form factor is perfect for...
Still doesn't explain MSFT being at a P/E of 30 while AAPL is at 13. MSFT has interesting opportunities, but they are all priced in at 30.
And therein lies the problem for upward momentum of AAPL: Everybody is overweighted already. I have about 75% of my holdings in AAPL, and in aggregate it is leveraged 2:1 (a 10% movement in the stock price translates to a 20% movement in my holdings). My next largest holding is only about 5%, and most are closer to 1-2%.Institutional ownership of GOOGL is 82%; AAPL is 62%. Without institutions picking up more AAPL, or Apple buying back significantly more shares, it is...
Jan 17, $80. About a $4 premium.
Still a safer investment than GOOGL or most of the heated names. Picked up 5 LEAPs today, all I can justify. If the global economy improves (exchange rate impact) then there is a bit more upside potential, but right now I am not counting on AAPL seeing $135 again before next April.
Well, if it goes to $185 I might be forced to retire; I would start selling around $150-160 though. That said, I think Apple will be a $1T company. I don't think that it is going to happen as quickly as it should, but it will happen. They might get to a point where they want or need to spin off entities, or even make a very large purchase like a bank.