or Connect

Posts by aaarrrgggh

Apple had a substantial data center in Napa before Newark; I want to say that was a 1993-94 build. They got out of that site around 2000 if I recall correctly. Of course, that would have been mostly for corporate data and not external-facing.
That is for the old style. The screws have moved from being at the 1:00 position in the older generations to being at the 3:00 position in the current generation, so you can't access them without disassembling the computer.Take a look at the current generation iFixit photo: http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/MwjRqELAmH4KPMUQ.large
Nice move. It wasn't that hard to do from what I can tell; it just needs to be screwed in from inside the enclosure. Aesthetically it would have been cool for it to all be integrated into the case... but it is hidden by the arm so who really cares. Wish it was available at retail (prefer to buy in-store for big things), but at least I don't have to switch to a MacMini for my needs.
Technically, they have paid the taxes they are legally required to pay. That doesn't necessarily mean they have paid the taxes in the country the profit was generated. (Double irish with a dutch sandwitch or something...)That said, paying more taxes than you are required is not keeping your owner's interests at hand. Have the US give a tax holiday, and then they can issue a special dividend. THEN, all their shareholders can choose to give the government extra money that...
As much as I am an AAPL fan, the troll posts indicating doom and gloom for Apple's future are important to read. There are a number of people who think Samsung is now more innovative than Apple, and a number of others that would say Google is more innovative. Google, maybe, but not Samsung. It is the "think different" crowd that simply wants to avoid Apple and is using any viable alternative to take on the opportunity. One co-worker got an S3 recently, and wants to dump...
Apple is still a couple of orders of magnitude out relative to Google’s data centers, but they could do more on Siri's search capabilities.As a stockholder, I am glad they are taking a more measured approach to growth. Hopefully they are learning some lessons and moving away from the more Oracle/Aszure based solutions into something more home-grown Hadoop based that will scale more effectively. Same goes for power system architecture; you can't compete with Google if you...
All I can say for GOOG is "Look Out Below!!" Here's to hoping that my shares get called away at $850!!
I'm still amazed by the number of people that have dedicated smart phones for personal and business use. There is a good chance you will actually see market contraction. Most people I see are split BB and iPhone.
Good point, although it doesn't tell us if the mobile advertising market is going to expand or stay flat.Google is a good technology proxy for Apple, so if you are going to sell AAPL, GOOG is likely to be purchased with about 70-80% of the money. I'd guess AMZN would get 10%, and maybe CRM would get 5%. The remainder might be taken off the table or find a different sector.I think GOOG is grossly overvalued personally, and wouldn't be too sad to unload if my covered calls...
I appreciate the dilemma; the 4/4S is a beautiful phone, and there are things I do like about the design more than my 5. However, Siri, thinner, better camera, and out of contract makes upgrading a pretty logical choice.For me, it is funny that I can have trouble finding my 5 in my pockets. It isn't as heavy and noticeable as the 4, so it really seems to disappear. My biggest complaint is simply needing to buy 4-5 extra lightning cables. I am not ready to upgrade my...