or Connect

Posts by aaarrrgggh

That settles it; Apple will release a 2.8" iPhone Nano. Zig when others Zag...
Wow! It even has EDGE data! None of those pesky "3G" standards to worry about!!But... it is fine for a whole lot of people. (...who won't be buying apps.)
Samsung is going to invest heavily in Tizen and/or Bada, which will start to make Google less of a factor in the debate.The next question is if Samsung drops to 40-50% Android phones, what happens to Android?
Most brokers charge higher fees for partial lot transactions... say $20 instead of $12-15. On prices, a partial lot "market" order will have a significant premium ($0.10 minimum per share, but I have seen as much as $0.50), and non-market orders have a hard chance executing.None of this is a big deal if you are deciding to buy one share and hold it for a decade, but if you are looking to make a 15% profit on your $1,150 investment in two shares of AAPL, you are going to...
Simple... If they only have one share, what can they do to take some money out but keep the rest in? Moreover, trading in small lots gives you worse prices and higher commissions, limiting your ability to profit. A block of Apple is $55k today; that only helps large investors and options traders.
In theory, a stock's value is the present value of future profits (less liabilities plus cash). "Accelerating" earnings growth makes small profits today potentially worth much more in the future. Constant earnings growth rates that exceed "cost of capital" are worth marginally more in the future, but as earnings growth flattens then future earnings are worth less than if the money was made today.So, if earnings are constant each year (say $1), the present value at 10%...
Not entirely true. The high share price favors bigger players, especially in terms of options. It might not impact the company's financials, but it does impact retail investing.
So, who thinks they can do better at guessing Apple's sales and margin? It is actually a pretty good analysis; it is about 10% higher on iPhones than I expect, and I think his ipad number is about 20% high (but I am staying conservative), but it gives you the numbers if you want to play the game yourself. The real question mark is on margin. I think his numbers would be a Q1 $17 EPS, or a TTM EPS of $47... Which would likely keep us range-bound between $517 and $705...
If Apple wants to "stick it to the carriers," they would do a major model update every 18 months and a minor update every 6 months; this would have people upgrading their phone as early as possible. Very few people will upgrade every year for various reasons they rationalize out, but at 18 months you have a pretty good shot. Small will be the next big. I think a iPod nano-sized phone would make sense for a lot of people, especially as Siri improves. It will be less of...
There are two clear portions of the drop-- the October drop from $700 to 600, and November-December drop to ~$500. Each warrants a different explanation: October is likely mutual funds locking in gains and re-balancing, while the current drop is more about the bears jumping in along with the fiscal cliff issues. The fiscal cliff and capital gains increases are the same issue, although capital gains is more of a subset of fiscal cliff. One thing that is interesting to me...