or Connect

Posts by aaarrrgggh

edit... d'oh!
If there is no subsidy why are the plans so expensive?! It is amazing how bad a deal these providers are.
Two complaints: too expensive, locked in hue ecosystem. I have started using insteon in my apartment, and am reasonably happy. I spent about $500 to control 5-6 switches, and I have time-of-day and sunrise/sunset functionality, as well as a little more complex logic that factors in occupied zones. The products are FAR from perfect, and I wish they had easier ways of inexpensively controlling 10-20 very small low-voltage zones from one location along with better dimming...
When is Apple going to deal with overlapping markers on their maps? If you have a strip mall, all the stores are indicated at the same position, so you only actually see a single random store. This is my biggest remaining disappointment with AppleMaps.
Natural and to be expected, at least until Apple has a new game-changer. Arguably it is even better for Apple to share the wealth a little more, as it keeps others from wanting to compete in the same space. The only thing I would be concerned about is the stores starting to be a cost center (support) rather than keeping sales in-line.
Bad idea. Apple just needs to re-purchase sufficient shares to keep annual growth rates in earnings per share in-line with a random target. Reducing float by that much (by taking on debt and paying taxes you hope to eventually avoid) is simply stupid. Arguably what Apple should (and I think does) do is use their investment subsidiary to make strategic options bets for long-term share repurchase. Microsoft did this during the boom years, but I think more of it was for...
It's easy... Leaves... falling... fall... picking apples... AppleCider! Apple is starting a line of hard apple cider!!
Odd timing for the Pro. Most businesses don't spend much money on IT between November and early February due to their budget cycles. Small shops might for tax reasons, but it seems to be sub-optimal. Still holding out hope that it will come in at $2k in order to try and expand its market appeal; the market for a "tower" has dropped a lot since the G5 enclosure debuted.
The value of the remote is the biggest thing in my book, but a like-for-like comparison would be to a 16-channel stereo system where any source can go to any speaker. Plus, you don't need a computer running to listen to the radio.
That is where Sonos actually really shines. You can scatter speakers throughout your home, keep the volume low, and have nice uniform background everywhere (or different music in each room if you want). You can hook it up to your TV, the mac, or any internet radio service, with the sound going everywhere. All without speaker wires... and all easily controlled from your iWhatever.Before we got Sonos, my wife always had the television on for some background noise. Now...