or Connect

Posts by turnwrite

Why is it that so few computer manufacturers seem to understand the concept of aesthetics? Maybe the VAIO has better specs than a MacBook, fine. But it's UGLY! How hard is it to make a laptop LOOK good? Not hard at ALL! I have no idea why no company other than Apple seems able to manage it. Sure, Alienware, Voodoo, Falcon Northwest; they can do a decent job at it, but a "low-end" FragBook from Falcon is $2,707.72! I would have a hard time using something so...
Yes, I realize that my poor little iBook is terribly old and clunky. But as a student, I don't have NEAR enough cash to shell out for a MacBook, much as I'd like to. So any little thing helps, and this resoltuion independence is a pretty big thing.
Personally, I don't love or hate the Dock. What I miss about OS 9 is just the multiple ways of doing things. Like, to launch an app you had the Apple Menu OR desktop icons OR the Launcher OR popup folders with "button" icons. To switch between apps you had the little corner menu OR you could tear it off and make a little Draggy Switcher Thing which you could change the size and orientation of. In OS 9, you could customize your little heart out. Remember the...
Thanks Chucker, you are my GOD. I am definitely gonna go and try that right now. I'll have to install the Xcode Tools, but this is the solution to my biggest problem. I can deal with the minor drawing flaws and stuff in exchange for more screen real estate. Thanks a TON!
Really? You can set that globally? You're using the developer version of this feature that shipped with Tiger, right? So you can globally set the decrease/increase resolution size for all windows using this developer thing in Tiger?
I see your point, that the feature isn't perfect, the windows look blotchy, and it really isn't meant to help low-end screens, but uber high end ones. Yet I still don't see why it COULDN'T be used to give more screen real estate on an 800x600 screen. If I were to do the same thing you did with the Calculator with ALL windows, wouldn't it be the equivalent of having a 1024x764 screen on an 800x600 one? I mean, what is the difference; everything on the screen is the same...
Thanks for explaining. Okay, so it sounds like I could just resize some objects onscreen to make them smaller and fit more. For instance, the app I use the most is Adobe InDesign, and it's hell on an 800x600 resolution. It sounds like it'd be possible to resize some things to make it all fit. You're right though, I would lose some detail... Hm. I saw a demonstration video of this feature in Vista and they were running Calculator at three different resolutions in 3...
But wait, about this "resolution independence." I have a hopelessly outdated iBook that maxes out at 800x600, so this feature really interests me.... How exactly would this work? What could you do with it? And also, does Vista have this feature? I had heard that but I'm not sure.