or Connect

Posts by mugwump

I think we are forgetting about last year's New York show. Such hype from Apple, and nothing much unveiled. Won't everyone be disappointed if it's just speed bumped desktops with a drop in price and only DDR Ram? Maybe, but I'm not sure that the company is too concerned. They keep raising the bar with their own software (Jagwire, iDVD, Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, iPhoto, iTunes) that current users on g3's are being motivated to upgrade no matter what. Let's get...
Yeah, I'm also mostly happy with this upgrade. But I have one question: Whatever happened to the L2 cache? Is the L3 faster? I do know that the L3 cache is used for real-time effects in Final Cut Pro, but did we lose something somwhere with the L2? Thanks for the clarification.
[quote]Originally posted by Cubit: But, I think obsessing about 1GHz vs 800 Mhz is hardly worth the sweat. Heat dissipation, portability and reliability are what PowerBooks are for. That's why I still love my Pismo [Chilling]
Actually, I would dare to guess that the 1ghz chips will be in there, downclocked to 800. This would provide less heat. But who is going to buy if they...
So lemmie get this straight. They are going to offer the same damn powerbook with 133 additional megahertz? That has GOT to be the lamest accountant-based decision I have EVER read. First, why the hell do people keep saying that apple doesn't upgrade mhz by more than blah BLAH BLAH. Do you dummies ever remember the day that DUAL processors were introduced to the desktops? How did current owners of single g4 500's chips react to that? Second, the current powerbook...
The Handspring Treo is the future of PDA's. It's really got it all in there, truly amazing design. Plus it's also a Palm. [ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: mugwump ]

Agreed to almost all of the previous posts, every one of them! So many posts and many are still on topic. Anyhow, going back to OS 9 looks a bit like a glorified Palm OS. Very snappy but a bit too 1990 for me. One thing is very clear, though. A slow finder sells more hardware. For example, my g3 400 lombard powerbook that has no graphics/quicktime support, so that I will purchase the pokey g4 powerbook. [ 03-20-2002: Message edited by: mugwump ]

Why would it be expensive to take that ibook screen and cut it bigger for the powerbook? It works fine with the current iBook battery. Also, I'll have dual low-power 800's please. The solution to the heat issue is with the gel cooling system developed by Toshiba last year. Funny, but whenever I see a posting by JD, I think of Sinbad. And Applenut, I don't know why you post like you just got back from being spanked by your daddy in the tool shed.
Why the hell would apple get into the pda/cellphone arena? They wont. Wozniak is on the board of that kiddie wireless PDA keyboard device, the Danger. But as for now, the best Treo killer is the Handspring Treo, 'cause it is da Bomb. Apple would be better off getting in cahoots with Oracle and OS X, opening up that marketshare a bit. Oh yeah, TreoMB It's not even shipping yet... ---One Post? What happened to my Feb...