or Connect

Posts by solipsism

And command line computers could do a lot more intricate things than simply clicking around the screen. That doesn't mean that command line is overall more effective, efficient, or can do everything that a GUI-based system can do. There are tasks that make the iPhone better suited than the iPad better suited than the Mac, and in every other possible configuration. As the iPad evolves — it's only been around for 1.5 years — it will continue to find new ways to do things...
Using 11thIndian's defintion which I think is great, "A PC isn't defined as a device that allows you do to everything, it's a device that allows you to do everything you want to do." I suppose a smartphone or PMP might fit that build, but I doubt that many would consider it a replacement for a standard PC. Where a user might have used a notebook for casual computing or have been tied to a desktop they are finding the iPad to fit the majority of their PC needs. I've even...
A couple things to consider… Siri was founded in 2007 and Apple bought Siri in 2010. On top of that, the foundations of Siri come from a long history of AI development.With Siri, Apple is using the results of over 40 years of research funded by DARPA via SRI International’s Artificial Intelligence Center through the Personalized Assistant that Learns Program and Cognitive Agent that Learns and Organizes Program CALO. This includes the combined work from research teams from...
These other companies make way too products for CNC milling to be as cost effective as Apple can make it. Intel tried to get the others on board for a basic design but the vendors still wanted a reduction in cost from Intel. Even if they all got on board they either have to use the same design that makes them less appealing to the world of Windows notebooks on the market or make unique design changes that cost them more money. Apple is the only one in a good position and I...
But the chassis are a product of a specific design, not something any other company could use, so regardless of whether Apple owns the machines or leases their use it's still the CNC machines that are being tied up, not a product of the machine, hence "chassis supply" is incorrect. An example of Apple hoarding the supply of a component would be NAND.
You really think Siri being accessible to a billion or more possible devices is a good thing a month after its launch as a Beta? At best, we have Apple putting more checks into Siri on the server and a more elaborate handshake that will slow down its ability to communicate to the user. You really want the entire system to less functional? That just makes you sound like an anti-Apple fanatic that wants to see Apple fail. Why not instead hope for other companies to build...
I forget which forum member wrote that but I had it in my sig for a couple months. I think it's said just to disparage the iPad, but those same people will also point out how you can't play "real" games on the iPad either. You don't see much of that on this forum these days, but go to AnandTech where the homebrew crowd still can't accept Apple in their DIYer world.
Perhaps I'm being pedantic, Katie, but wouldn't the control be of the CNC machines, not of the aluminium nor the oddly worded "chassis supply"?
1) Calling it a mobile PC is a classification, so the article did classify it. 2) Aren't notebooks mobile PCs, too. I know some are quite large and hard to lug around but they are, by design, mobile with their batteries and collapsing lids.
It depends on two factors. The PPI and what you say is the average distance from the eyes/face in which you use the device. For instance, a 4" iPhone with the same 960x640 resolution would have a PPI down from 326 to 288, which could still be marketed as accepted definition of Retina Display without being questionable.An iPad with double the resolution (quadruple the pixels) would still be lower at 264 PPI but could still feasibly be called Retina Display because you place...