or Connect

Posts by technohermit

I was hoping for Apple to create more GUI for the underlying UNIX core, but I think that dream has gone. Now I am of the opinion that our Macs will become large iPhones, and directories and functionality will disappear in favor of what the mainstream users do (meaning hiding and removing what they don't understand.) The average user cannot figure out where they save a document, or why they can't use a VPN when they aren't connected to the internet. Bring in the auto-open,...
I have it on AT&T iPhone 5 (and the wife's). My plan is unlimited, but hers is only 200MB. Not sure what is using the data, but it certainly uses cell data while on wifi. She averaged around 60MB per month on the iPhone 4 with iOS 5; the new phone has used 140MB in 7 days. Settings and apps for the new phone were restored from a backup of the old one.
I'm all for Apple creating an alternative. Google stifled innovation, and they really are the superior choice at the moment. Now we will get an alternative for sure, no doubts and no ifs. Apple has put it out there, and now it will only get better. While traveling for work for the next few months, I'll be sure to go to maps.google.com, check the StreetView as I always did, and then email myself the driving instructions. The only difference for now is that I'll be...
I got my confirmation 4:51AM EDT. Says delivers Oct 5th Hopefully it gets pushed up!
You're seriously faulting Apple for not having Siri in multiple languages yet?  They are (barely) on v1.0 in their native language.  As the mass migration from iPhone 4 to 5 takes place in the coming weeks, Siri will be learning a lot.  Hardly a fault when only the 4S has it stock.
I'm sure there is not a single or collective entity other than Apple who would know the answer to how much RAM, processor speed (or any other design criteria) their phones need, since they design the entire puzzle from the ground up.  That's what makes it special. Much like when they worked with IBM and PPC chips.   But all that design work falls on deaf ears for the Pentium/Galaxy crowd.  Let them have their "customizable" phones and PCs.     I don't mind jailbreaking...
I think the answer is the same as why laptops became very, very popular.  The old tech didn't have the lithium-ion battery life, nor did it have the processing power of today's machines.  The same to be said for the mac-mini designs, all laptop hardware based.  The G4 was a slug, although great at the time for dorms and apartment dwellers who only needed to write papers and email.  Gaming on a G4 mini was laughable.  Not the situation anymore with the advances in...
I assume that you live in a city with a building structure such as NYC, or a town with one main street and a single traffic light.   When I travel into NYC there is no substitute for StreetView.  Whether I'm on the train or driving.  You can waste so much time finding your destination by wandering around, looking for a number on a building which may not exist, where construction blocks entrances, and various other things.   Westchester County (north of NYC) has so many...
What if Apple wins this suit also?  Then you support thieves?  How does that make any sense?   Since Apple has plenty of money, it's ok for Samsung to steal from them and then sell their stolen product.  < Your justification of theft.  Not very nice.   The Robin Hood approach may seem valiant on paper.....but in the real world stealing gets you fined or imprisoned, depending on if you're a person or corporation.
+1 They are Soft Skills....without doubt the most important part of a job where you are interacting with customers.  CompTIA had a whole course on this strictly for IT.  There is nothing new here, and I expect other IT businesses to scramble for this handbook because it's probably another fine example of Apple genius.