or Connect

Posts by xebeche

I cannot get the files to open with the latest OpenOffice or TextEdit. I've been doing some research into how to convert them and came across a product called MacLinkPlus from Data Viz, but I cannot find it on there site and assume that it may have been discontinued. My forum searches here have yielded no results. Hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. Thanks much!
I've done a lot of research in the last couple days and gotten several responses from different sources. There seem to be 3 major schools of thought when it comes to ESD safety. (1) Minimal protection is required, if any at all. Plenty of people claim to simply touch objects around them and avoid moonwalking across carpet. That is sufficient to avoid damaging computer equipment. (2) Connecting to the ground of a receptacle is normal procedure and perfectly safe. "The...
I find it interesting that HP keeps buying failing companies. Did they not learn from Compaq?
I talked to my uncle who is an electrician, but not a computer repair man. He urged me not to connect to the "ground" of an outlet. His reasons were three fold. (1) The home may be older and no ground may be available. (2) The ground may not have been installed properly during a remodel or for other reasons is no longer functioning as a ground. (3) All grounds in the home are connected and if there is a slight discharge moving through them and I happen to make a better...
Oops... How to ground *an* ESD mat? I apologize in advance for asking what should be easily answered. You'd think that a simple google search would yield a lot of useful results, but I have been unsuccessful. So now I turn to one of my favorite tech sites in hope that you wonderful people can help a guy out. How do I ground an ESD mat to make it safe for working on Macs? For the most part I'll be traveling to people's homes installing RAM and replacing internal...
I hope that "quickly" means we'll see announcements across all the product lines within the next month or two. I'm not holding my breath for WWDC though. Will Apple be announcing new hardware Monday or Tuesday (their usual day of preference)? Anyone know when they got on their soap box in the past WWDCs?
Apple would probably have any legit pre-release photos/videos of their products removed from websites. Something like this could be a prototype of a prototype, but not even close to the finished product. When Apple chooses to turn the iPod into a "computer" the hardware it runs on will probably be more impressive as well.
I'm in the market for a new notebook. I recently returned a defective MacBook and haven't purchased a new system because I've caught wind of the potential Merom release. I know anticipating Apple's upgrades can be difficult, but my understanding is that the first shipments of the Core 2 Duo processors have begun shipping for Apple and another company only. This leads me to believe a MacBook Pro update is on its way. Normally I'd simply wait, but I have the option of...
No, it accounts for $400 to most people and then $300 educationally. I think many of you are missing the point here. Apple is really cutting their margin out on THIS MACHINE alone to provide the education market a very inexpensive alternative. They may reduce the price of the Mac Minis, who knows, but I highly doubt this will be available to the public like the eMac was. We'll all just have to suck it up and move on with our lives.