or Connect

Posts by JDW

Wonderful post and exactly what I want to know as well.
Your smiley at the end shows you wrote that in jest, but there is a lot of truth in it. When I first got my 24" March 2009 3.06GHz iMac, I was color-correcting in Photoshop for 20 minutes trying in vain to remove a light green color cast on a photo. I then look down for a second and noticed that my shirt was green. I then grabbed a black book on my desk and held it in front of my shirt. The color cast vanished! So "white reflections" are not the only problems with...
I apologize for apparently having made my words overly complex, Dr., but you answered your own question: "hacker projects" = Hackintosh = stuff sold by Psystar and similar companies. If one wishes to purchase something to build their own Mac (whether building themselves or getting it prebuilt and pre-setup), you take some level of risk. Some people ignore the risk but lack the ability to build these machines themselves, so they go to the likes of silly Psystar. Others...
Nor is driving 41MPH on a 40MPH road. But I promise I won't ask you if you've ever committed such a heinous crime. I also don't think Blue Boxes were legal back in the 1970's either.And an earthquake could cause your house to crash down on your head too if you choose to live in quake prone areas of the earth like California state or Japan (both of which have been home to me). Life is a risk, and some prefer to live on the edge. Some of us take the risks boldly, others...
I agree with you 100%. I want those additional choices to come from Apple too, just like you do. Agreed.Agreed. And the case between Apple and Psystar is not over yet. So in the meantime, it technically is legal to buy from Psystar and expand one's choices accordingly -- not silly Psystar alone, but anyone else offering the means to build a Hackintosh, however gray an area that may be legally. But again, my position is not to get caught up in all the legal mumbo...
Indeed. This is truly a "tech forum." As such, the roundness of anyone's head would require analysis and math, both of which are "technical" in nature and therefore on-topic. However, what goes on in the courtroom is not "techy" at all. It simply happens to "impact tech." But this is yet again detracting from the main thrust of the discussion: choice.I wrote about "choice." You wrote in reply to me in order to merely argue with me personally. It would therefore...
Being the same age and still remembering my first experience with MacPaint on my first home computer, the 128k in 1984, I feel compelled to chime in here.I agree with what Serge said. Moreover, I don't understand why this site is frequented by the Apple Crusaders so often. So many attorney's-in-training screaming about what's "legal" or "illegal." Let the courts work that out. It's really none of our concern. We all take certain risks when we go outside Apple (Psystar...
Correction: in my previous post I said that the "first 2 pages" of this thread are dedicated to Blue-Ray. I now would have to say all pages are. Let the Blue-Ray topic die, folks! Performance is what matters most! Speaking of which...So long as the "real world performance" for single-threaded apps matches or best the current top of the line iMac, I will be happy. But seeing that the 2GHz version of the CPU spoken of in this article is priced rather high, Apple may not...
The first two pages of comments were an absolutely amazement to me. Virtually all about BlueRay. Who the heck cares? (And I say this as someone who wants BlueRay.) All this BlueRay talk is irrelevant when it most assuredly will be a BTO option at some point. So let it go!Now if you want to talk about the real meat of this article, this comment is more spot on...Now think deeply, people. Think. Do you honestly expect that a 1.7 or even a 2.0GHz 4-core CPU (even i7...
"Somewhere else"? No, I wouldn't. You see, you and I could probably earn 4 times the salary we make now, simply by moving to Iraq and working in the field of "security." But are you going to do that? No. (If you were willing, you would be there right now.) What you MEANT to ask was, "Wouldn't you change jobs if you could double your salary, without hazarding your health, working at similar workplace with a similar position on a similar set of products and services?" ...