or Connect

Posts by JDW

As a fellow Mac 128k owner, and owner of a Mac 512k with internal GCC Hyperdrive 20 and an SE/30, I would like to point out that these old Macs were not built in China. My company manufactures in Japan, Taiwan and China. Manufacturing costs are lowest in China, but so is the quality of the merchandise produced. I am not saying "all new Macs are now garbage" because of this. But you just cannot compare older Macs made in Fremont CA or Japan with modern day "Made in...
When you're next in the office, please offer my regards to Steve and Jonathan.Pssst. (whisper voice) Don't talk too loud. The Stones in the surrounding Hills here may begin to fall.By the way, for those of you wanting an alternative to Psystar, ExpressHD may offer what fits the bill. I still love Apple. But until they offer a mid-range tower, I am happy to share the knowledge of where they may be obtained outside Cupertino.UPDATE: It's clear to me after reading every...
"Who cares?" "Only an idiot would buy this"? "It's not cheaper"? "Gonna get stuck with the computer when they go under"? "Hurts Apple"? All statements made by individuals who seriously do not think too deeply about any given topic before they write. These are little more than scare tactics of extreme loyalists. And I say this as a Mac lover since 1984, who has never purchase a Mac outside Apple, and I own a substantial amount of AAPL to boot. The fact is that...
The very fact that you don't think something is wrong with that is evidence something is wrong with you. But sadly, you can take comfort in knowing that many others are like you in America today and explains why so many are obese. No one feels guilty about getting fat in the USA anymore. It's frightful. And if it is so right and cool to be fat and uneducated, then I must assume that if you wed and one day have children, you will encourage your offspring to eat...
Indeed. Laughing all the way to the refrigerator. As an California-born American whose lived outside the USA for nearly 15 years, I must say that it is shocking just how much fatter the already obese in America have become. Eat intelligently, for crying out loud. Reduce the amount of food in your home at any one time, don't shop at bulk food places like Costco, and control your hand that feeds your mouth. Then perhaps people will take you more seriously. Yes, looks do...
I don't know which is more offensive. This stupid sentence or the diatribe authored by Brian Chen. Japan is still the second largest economy in the world. Successful sales in Japan also aids the manufacturer in knowing the quality of its product. For if your product can sell well here, it will likely sell well in many other countries too (I speak in terms of quality and general convenience features here). The "who cares about Japan" mentally is common among many in the...
It would be good to investigate who the perpetrators of these "words" are because the evidence I see first hand says otherwise. I do not own an iPhone here in Japan myself, but I have played with the SoftBank iPhone of a co-worker. I also have a brother in CA who uses an iPhone on the AT&T network. And of course as I stated previously, I use a Japanese brand SoftBank phone (705P) under SoftBank's ¥980/mo White Plan. Except for a dropped call now and then, there is...
He could also be Brian Chen in disguise.
I've lived here in central Japan (Aichi-ken) for nearly 15 years. I've seen and toyed with many Japanese cell phones through the years. I can tell you they are all about the same when it comes to UI stupidity. Yes, they may have a couple cool features that are unique to Japan (e.g., e-payments, bar code reading), but that matters nothing to me if the UI is brain dead. Most Japanese whom I associate with have an interest in the iPhone, but the two main turn-offs...
Cheap or expensive, the main problem is the human element behind the camera. My PowerShot G5 will do the same if I shoot a closeup fully zoomed out. That's why the photographer in this story should have used his head, put the camera on a tripod, and then used full zoom on the camera to eliminate the distortion. It's easy to do. And honestly, we are all reading this story to see just how amazing the Kindle is, so I for one want to see some crisp, non-distorted photos of...