or Connect

Posts by JDW

Sounds like jragosta helped write this article! LOL I've been a Mac fanatic since the very first Mac 128k rolling out in 1984. I've seen Apple develop through the years and have read just about every book on Apple and Jobs ever published. The fact is that Jobs is too unique to ever be complete institutionalized. Even so, Apple will not up and die when Steve does, although the idiots on Wall Street will certainly bash my AAPL holdings when Steve does go. However, it...
Carniphage, you appear to be European, but your philosophy toward Japan parallels that of the US. Indeed, it makes sense as it is a typical "Westerner's ideology" on not modifying products for the Japanese market. So let's give deeper thought to what you are saying: 1) Japan really isn't that big/significant a market 2) We'd probably fail if we tried and lose money too 3) Our changes might drive up prices 4) Trying is a waste of time because it's a hard market to...
It's a cultural thing. Come to Japan and you will see that there is a hefty amount of ultra-HelloKitty-style cuteness everywhere. And yes, even mature adults here like that cuteness. Emoji is a part of this. Why not use the "ame" Kanji character for rain instead of an icon? Because Kanji are Chinese characters and overuse of them here in Japan makes people feel like you are throwing Chinese at them. Seriously. Put too many Kanji on a paper ad, pass it around the...
Adobe CS4 is to CS3 what Snow Leopard is to Leopard. Both are maintenance/bug fix updates with hardly no feature changes. In other words, if you pay money for either of these software packages, you are basically paying for "continued development of the product." You are not getting much more than that. Of course, people who want to use Leopard but can't right now (i.e., not most G4 users like me) are going to "get stability" from Snow Leopard (hopefully). But with CS4...
I fail to see how those sentences apply to Japan or SoftBank. We've had 3G networks here in Japan for years.Try telling that to people who aren't choosing the iPhone here. Seriously. People do what we often think "they can't do." However bad you may feel the comparisons are, people count the costs and make such comparisons.And you yourself use that every single day, all day long? Even so, are you going to "convince" the Japanese by making such statements? I fail to...
You must not have "hated saying it" so much, since you said it! Folks, this is bull. Japan is still the #2 economy in the world, second only to the US which currently is falling from grace. Indeed, the USA is an "increasingly unattractive, even uninteresting" market to many non-US manufacturers now! You can sell nearly anything in Japan if you cater it to the Japanese. I mentioned this in my opening post in the previous article on this topic.I've lived in central...
It's almost criminal for Apple/AT&T to charge more for what should otherwise be free. You've paid for the hardware (iPhone) with your 2 year ball-and-chain contract and you are forking over an absolutely outrageous $70 per freaking month fee for the access. (I pay less than $60 per month for 100Mbps Fiber internet, for crying out loud.) You therefore have the right to use that hardware and access as you see fit. To make exceptions is wrong, and I would therefore...
His tale is certainly a bit different than mine (especially in terms of the colorful metaphors used). But it would appear we are in different age groups, associating with different people, and most likely, living in very different parts of the country (I do NOT live in Tokyo or Osaka). Out of those 130 million people here in Japan, only about 1.2% are foreign (myself included, being a US Citizen). Therefore, the foreign population here cannot expect to make broad claims...
It's therefore hilarious to me that most all of you posting in this thread do not live here in Japan! SoftBank has Brad Pitt on TV selling their phones and wireless service. I think Apple considered them one of the more trendy carriers here (which I would agree with), and that combined with the fact SoftBank was willing to hand over a considerable percentage of monthly subscription fees was what finalized the deal. However, AU has the most stable network over here, and...
I've been living here in Japan the past 14 years. I remember when SoftBank was Vodafone and Vodafone was J-Phone. If indeed "no one" was supporting those companies, they would have gone under and stayed under once and for all. Fact is, they are good alternatives to "higher priced" companies like AU and DoCoMo. I've never seen anyone other than people I work with use a Macintosh either, but that doesn't mean no one buys Macs here. I know full well that Japan is a big...