or Connect

Posts by JDW

I paid that much in to NTT back in 1994 to get my own telephone number here in Japan. You still have to buy these silly phone bonds for about that much even now. That's why many young people forgo the land land in lieu of a cell phone. And now that you can switch carriers without losing your cell number (a new law made this possible), many more people are ditching the bonds. Yet others still want to have the land line and they pay through the nose for it.The fact is...
Yes, what of Japan? One can only hope the likes of Apple can negotiate a deal that will finally bring Japan into the 21st century with regard to prepaid and pay-per-use SIM card services. As it stands now, Docomo, AU, SoftBank and the rest of the carriers here refuse to offer SIMs for sale at all. It's a silly money grab to lock people into long term contracts, and the Japanese are so passive (and ignorant of services outside Japan) that they refuse to complain in...
Dave, each of our posts stands to paint us either as hostile brutes or as creatures endowed with some level of higher intelligence. I personally have no regrets about what I have posted in this thread thus far, especially in light of the fact that the primary thrust of my remarks here were squarely aimed at the elimination of software patents. I am pleased to read (in one of your prior posts) that you feel the same. May many more come to this understanding about...
How quickly works swerve off-topic. I make mention of a clearly flippant post to defend poor Othello, and suddenly we have attack posts by on-edge Americans who clearly think the system is "as perfect as anything else out there." But such attacks are not really surprising, as they come from people who have experience living in US culture alone. My own horizons were not sufficiently broadend until I moved outside the US for a number of years. The fact is that many...
Many Americans feel as you do, which is why such patents exist in America. For those of you unsure which stand to take, there are numerous site you can Google for further information. Here are some I found to be of interest:Software patents and the dependency problemSoftware Patents in EuropeNo Software Patents! (Europe)Are Software Patents Evil?History of Software Patents (US)
Japan. (Seriously, your comment was rather flippant, lacking knowledge of legal systems outside the US. Your comment is a classic example of the attitude I just described about how most Americans think concerning everything in America being the same or better than anywhere else in the world.)The purpose of the current patent system was to protect individuals or smaller companies who would work to get an idea to market in a reasonable amount of time without fear of a...
I concur. But keep in mind though that "We The People" are still the proponents of that system, and they will be the ones who decide whether to keep it on the current path of injustice. (Yes, lawsuits like this are frivilous, and the very act of allowing them in court is "unjust".) Sadly, most Americans have a deep seeded problem in thinking they have everything that is "the best in the world." Many in the US use this as an excuse to maintain the status quo in the legal...
I have to agree with the poster who is angered by frivilous lawsuits like this. It's so infuriating I cannot put it into words. "Yes, but they have the right to..." is what the defenders of so-called American Liberty claim as their basis to allow such foolishness to continue. But the fact is, we need to create a law to ban all "intellectual property companies." If you don't sell products or build a business around a patented idea, then you should have no claim in...
While this line of discussion is quickly getting off-topic, I will say this: most digital "consumer level" cameras are junk. I've not seen a serious competitor to my Canon PowerShot G5 to date, and the G5 is far from new! The manufacturers are putting out the first technology the see to grab dollars. They are not putting out better quality. They keep adding more MP's to tiny little CCD's. The average consumer is mislead in thinking this is better than older cameras,...
You can read more about the price plans from SoftBank here (yes, in English): http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/en/price_plan/ No doubt these prices are the envy of the world. (Or rather will be, as most of you here were not even aware of SoftBank until I mentioned it. But again, that's in part due to Vodafone having been bought out by SoftBank here in Japan not too long ago.) And for the fellow who is wantiing a 3.2MP camera in his phone, SoftBank offers a model now with 5MP....