or Connect

Posts by graxspoo

Apple and M$ are creating UIs for dummies. None of the new 'features' in Lion really help the power user. It's all eye candy and pillows for iOS users. Same thing with this ribbon interface: its for people who can't figure out how to use menus or remember command keys. Apple wants to take away our access to the file system and sell all software through a bubble gum machine (with prices to match). Welcome to the brave new world of lowest common denominator computing. Its...
Congratulations, you're great at it without even trying.I was happy when they ditched the floppy. Floppies were unreliable and held very little data. But the optical drive has many years of life left in it.I've never had anyone pass me an SD card. Last time I wanted to use a thumb drive I had to go ask everyone in the office, and only a couple people had them. Most people have several devices capable of reading a CD. That's my point: if I want to hand some music to...
With magic. And a screwdriver. Not if there's no OS on the drive at all I can't. With an optical drive and a DVD I just reinstall.CDs are still the easiest way to give somebody some music, especially when you don't know what sort of technology they have. None of the "music social" features of various products have really caught on. CDs are ubiquitous. I disagree. If I own the DVD, I can rip it. That's fair use in my book.I thought Apple wanted to reduce the number of wires...
I guess Apple is thinking if I can provide my own monitor and keyboard, I can provide my own optical drive as well. Perhaps there's some merit to that, since I could get a blu-ray drive if I wanted, or whatever. It lowers the price for people that don't need them, and the Mac mini is already sort of a DIY beast so the added complexity of having to shop for, purchase and install an optical drive isn't a big concern.
1) I buy a Mac mini as a home entertainment hub. I have a Netflix subscription, and want to watch a DVD... and... 2) I use Time Machine to back up my Mac (non-bootable). My hard drive completely dies. I install a new drive and... 3) I have some old software that I need to re-install on my Mac... 4) I want to burn a mix CD for a friend... 5) I want to rip a CD or DVD that I own... Let's face it, optical drives are still wicked useful, and will be for quite some time,...
Please see my response to Gustav.
Oh yeah? Here's an article written a year after InDesign had been released:http://web.mit.edu/is/isnews/v16/n01/160103.html It notes that Adobe released new versions of Pagemaker and rebranded it for business. Here's another one talking about Pagemaker 7, which was release TWO YEARS after InDesign was released: http://designer-info.com/DTP/adobe_pagemaker_7.htm And according to Wikipedia, Pagemaker development wasn't completely ended until 2004, FIVE YEARS after InDesign...
It's pretty clear reading these posts that some people understand what its like to depend on a piece of software for your livelihood, and some simply don't; Unfortunately Apple falls into the latter category. And, that's really the issue. When you depend on technology, you don't want to have to worry that its about to get taken away from you next month. You want to know you can train new people on it, and the time won't be wasted. You want to know you can purchase new...
I dislike these changes. The tabs "read" backwards to me. In the example the author included the darker tabs look deselected, but they are actually the selected ones.
Whoever came up with the iPhone 4 design was hopefully fired... Oh that's right, he was. iPhone 4 is the "Mark Papermaster phone". Papermaster left Apple due to "cultural incompatibility" last year. With Consumer Reports still not recommending iPhone over the antenna issue, you would think that Apple would want to roll out a new hardware design ASAP. I would also think that Steve would want to cleanse the iPhone of the Papermaster taint. My old iPhone still works fine....