or Connect

Posts by graxspoo

One thing I'm confused about: It seems that Apps aren't allowed to install plug-ins, but they are allowed to load them? Very strange. How can you load plug-ins if you don't install them?
Not really. Software distribution is pretty cheap, especially if you already distribute over the internet. It certainly doesn't take 30% bite the way Apple does. I don't like license keys either, but we wouldn't need them if people didn't pirate software. Presumably apps from the app store will be copy protected, so you'll have all the same headaches as other copy-protected media from Apple. You're just trading one problem for another.
I'm having the same sinking (no pun intended) feeling. In some ways, it may be what is necessary for the evolution of computing. I do truly admire the fact that iOS is an almost maintenance free system. Macs are almost there, but they are still confusing to novices. The file system is probably one of the the most confusing aspects of a modern computer, and so, it needs to be abstracted away. Apple knows that a lot of engineers love Macs, so I do think there will always...
Yes, I agree, music also. But actually, I think ATV is weak on this point as well. iTunes is a pain in the neck to deal with. I want to just drop files in a folder and have them accessible on my TV/home stereo. Boxee is the best for that for now, but they don't offer Amazon streaming content. None of the existing boxes meet my needs at this point. Boxee is the closest. APPLE: If you're listening, I'd spend a lot more money in your video store if you had a plan something...
You're totally wrong about them 'being dragged kicking and screaming to do anything.' They've always had privacy controls. The issue was how easy it was to use them. The problem is how fine-grained control do you want to give people? There are a lot of dimensions to the issue. FB would like people to keep things relatively open and not succumb to paranoia, because if things are too locked down no one can find each other, no one can see each others posts. Its a delicate...
Like I said "(hence eyeballs, hence ad revenue)" My point is, the reason I go on Facebook is to connect with my friends who live all over the place, and catch up on what they're doing. Ping doesn't let you do that at all. You can't customize your homepage. You can't post anything not related to the iTunes store. Its a poor social network and hardly even qualifies as such. It would have been sort of cool as an FB-add-on, but as a stand-alone thing it's not, at least thus...
Ping has an agenda. It wants you to spend more time in iTunes and spend more money in the store. A good social network has really only one agenda: to help you connect with others (hence eyeballs, hence ad revenue). Ping thus far is doing a very poor job at connecting me to anyone. I've been signed up since it launched and thus far, I have only one connection. Ping isn't suggesting more friends to me. I have over 300 FB friends, and I don't even have email addresses for...
I'm revealed and encouraged that Apple had some awareness that this might be an issue. It means that they're not completely clueless when it comes to antenna design. A "concern" at an early phase of development often points to an "engineering challenge." Many issues can be overcome with a sufficient application of brilliance. When you succeed at overcoming a challenge, you're applauded. Apple also has a penchant for form-over-function. Remember the round iMac mouse?...
A $10 to $15 per month "all you can eat" plan is much better than charging per item. Even though 99c isn't a lot, it still means I have to decide whether or not I want to spend my buck on a show that maybe I don't like. It limits exploration. It makes it feel like you're dealing with a constrained resource. I love Netflix, because I never have to worry about these things. Before I had a Netflix account I sometimes would rent using my AppleTV. Now I almost never do. $5...
I wish Apple would stop messing with the UI of Xcode, and simply make their debugger work. The debugger is so broken, I don't even know where to begin. Breakpoints sometimes don't work, watchpoints don't work, expressions don't work. The debugger crashes trying to view C++ objects.. etc etc. It's a complete cluster-f*ck. And here they sit playing around with UI elements. Its pathetic. And, least anyone think I'm just venting, I had a friend that went to work for Apple...