or Connect

Posts by graxspoo

I was checking out Lion and I'm afraid as things stand, they don't work well with multiple monitors at all. For example, if you put an app into full-screen mode, and you have more than one monitor, the second monitor gets covered by a useless blank image that looks a little like cloth. Really, you'd want a separate space on each monitor, but then how would you pick which was the target of your 'switch space' command? Why not at least put the Finder in the second monitor...
Apple doesn't seem to really get online services. Look at what they did with .mac/mobileMe. First it was free, then it cost $99 a year, now maybe it will be free again. Dumb. Should have been free all along. Cloud services shouldn't corral you into a single solution provider, except through benefits of interoperability and convenience. For example, maybe I want to use Google Calendar and Yahoo Mail and then add the iTunes music locker. Or maybe I want to set up my own...
Doesn't look appealing to me, but then, I think the iPad is dumb also. Who wants a laptop with no keyboard? Who wants a cellphone you can't fit in your pocket. Ok, all those iPad sales say I'm wrong. I guess people have more money than brains.
I wasn't saying its impossible to move to another media platform, just that it's a headache I'd rather not deal with. Also, the cost of apps, while relatively small, is not insignificant, especially for a cheapskate like myself. I've spent perhaps $30 on apps total, so tack that onto the new phone's price tag. I'd need to re-search and re-purchase and re-learn all these apps if I switched. That's at least a couple hours of my time. Also, even now not all apps are...
I buy clothes because the old ones wear out and I'm still using my first gen iPhone. People are dumb with their money... But, I agree with your point. The cellphone space is a lot more fluid in terms of brand loyalty. By their nature phones need to be able to sync with a variety of sources, and aren't the primary repository of your data. This makes it pretty easy to move from one to the other. That being said, the real edge that Apple has is their media infrastructure....
I don't know what sort of software you're buying, but I can't remember the last time I went into a store and actually walked out with a box of software... Maybe when I bought Leopard. Most of the software I buy is directly from the application developers over the internet. These guys are all going to suffer.
One thing I'm confused about: It seems that Apps aren't allowed to install plug-ins, but they are allowed to load them? Very strange. How can you load plug-ins if you don't install them?
Not really. Software distribution is pretty cheap, especially if you already distribute over the internet. It certainly doesn't take 30% bite the way Apple does. I don't like license keys either, but we wouldn't need them if people didn't pirate software. Presumably apps from the app store will be copy protected, so you'll have all the same headaches as other copy-protected media from Apple. You're just trading one problem for another.
I'm having the same sinking (no pun intended) feeling. In some ways, it may be what is necessary for the evolution of computing. I do truly admire the fact that iOS is an almost maintenance free system. Macs are almost there, but they are still confusing to novices. The file system is probably one of the the most confusing aspects of a modern computer, and so, it needs to be abstracted away. Apple knows that a lot of engineers love Macs, so I do think there will always...
Yes, I agree, music also. But actually, I think ATV is weak on this point as well. iTunes is a pain in the neck to deal with. I want to just drop files in a folder and have them accessible on my TV/home stereo. Boxee is the best for that for now, but they don't offer Amazon streaming content. None of the existing boxes meet my needs at this point. Boxee is the closest. APPLE: If you're listening, I'd spend a lot more money in your video store if you had a plan something...