or Connect

Posts by graxspoo

Why all the hostility here guys? The article had interesting points to make, so let's discuss them like adults. For me there are a couple things that Apple really has going for it in the smart-phone world, and this article did a good job of pointing them out: Simplicity, integration, brand identity. My mom can use an iPhone, I doubt she could use a Droid. I was talking to my friend the other day, and he mentioned that several people he knows can't even figure out...
Upgraded my 1G iPhone today in about 20 mins. No problems so far. Thanks for cut copy and paste Apple!
Yes, you can still use audio input, but not while you listen. Uh, musicians need to be able to hear what they're playing to. On the new MacBook you can't both listen through headphones, and record through the input at the same time. From the manual: "Audio out port. Connect external speakers, headphones (including iPhone), or digital audio equipment. You can specify audio analog line in functionality, to support line-level microphones and audio equipment, by selecting...
You are assuming you know what "user-selectable analog audio line in" means. Do you have inside information, or have any other technical details to point to? What you're saying makes sense, but until I have more information I won't jump to that conclusion. The word "selectable" strikes me as odd, since it would seem to imply the user would have to make some sort of system setting to change the output to an input, and if that's the case then it could not be used for both in...
I'm assuming that what they've done is make it take an iPhone-style headphone jack + mono mic input. If that's true, then the laptop no longer has analog stereo input. If, on the other hand, what they've done is to make it either an input or an output, but not both at the same time, people would not be able to use headsets with Skype, or record a musical instrument while listening through headphones. I have not heard the final word on this, but either way, it seems a...
Yes, I did. I liked being able to jack my guitar right into the MacBook for quick recordings. While I'm not thrilled with the new audio plug situation, I'm happy that FireWire is back. It sounds like if I had the right adapter I could still plug my guitar in... though I guess the jury is still out.
Yes. I've been very disappointed with Parallels upgrade pricing. Recently I found out I would have to upgrade to Parallels 4 in order to run Kubuntu. Since my virtualization needs are mostly "for fun" I was quite pleased to find VirtualBox. It runs Kubuntu great. Sayonara Parallels. BTW Kubuntu is also free! VirtualBox + Linux: Its like a whole new (free) OS for your Mac.PS: VirtualBox has been updated since the Ars Technica article was written. I didn't run into any...
Oh right, we're supposed to just take whatever Apple gives us and say "oh, thank you, thank you.." What, am I supposed to pretend I don't need copy and paste, even though I wish I had it once or twice a week? Am I supposed to think "Great, I've got street view now in google maps" even though I've never once needed it? If Apple doesn't know that people want something, then why would they add it? I think the only responsible thing to do, if you care about a product, is to...
Yeah, great. Big whoop. Where's copy and paste?
Yeah, like, can a software update add a FW port?