or Connect

Posts by graxspoo

Hmm, have you held a Nexus in your hands? It's a really nice tablet. Anyway, I'm sure the Asus is worth the price, but the devices that I think will really shake the market up are a little cheaper than that. Android maturing into a laptop OS is something that should have Microsoft sh*ting bricks.
  You can either pop it off and then lose it under the couch, or awkwardly fold it behind the unit.  I think this question points to exactly what's wrong with the "hybrid" tablet/laptop idea.  What we really need is a keyboard that magically appears when you need it and then vanishes when you don't.   (And no you wiseacre, I don't mean the on-screen keyboard. I'm a touch typist, and my speed drops by 50% or more trying to use the onscreen keyboard. I basically can't stand...
  That looks pretty cool. It's $400 for the base unit, plus another $115 for the keyboard/dock. That puts the price on the high side IMO. If you look at the Kindle Fire, Nexus 7, or Nook HD+, you can see that it's possible to make and sell a decent small Android tablet for around $150.  Adding a bit of expense for the keyboard, I'd like to see Android ultrabooks selling in the $200 to $300 range.
  First of all, I wasn't "crowing" about this. Yes, it's cheap, and probably a little too cheap for me.  But, I'm an industry watcher, and I'm interested in the Android ultrabook idea, because there's the possibility of making very cheap and portable "laptop like" things. It's an emerging category, with a couple of early entries from otherwise unknown companies. That was the spirit in which it was offered. So no, I don't see this as pointless or worthless, but if you're...
Check this out: $120 for a Android 4.1 ultrabook.  Reading the specs my only beef is with the battery life.    http://www.amazon.com/WolVol-Operating-Notebook-Computer-Installed/dp/B007RFNV2U/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_5
  My comment about Android ultra-books was in relation to a discussion about the ATIV Q. The ATIV Q, while interesting, isn't what I was talking about. It runs Windows (as well as Android) and is more of a "hybrid tablet" than an ultra-book. It's also quite expensive (probably around $1500-1600!) What I'd like to see, and I think there are some of these in the pipe-line, is a pure Android device, a clamshell about the size of a iPad-mini or a Kindle Fire, with a dedicated...
  They do make drawing styli for the iPad. Have you tried any of them? The iPad's touch response is supposed to be highly accurate, so the main thing is "you need a smaller finger." And I appreciate what you're saying. There's always room for special purpose hardware. My main point is, if you fundamentally need a stylus or a keyboard to operate the thing, it ain't  a tablet. 
  Yes, it's another strange iteration of the hybrid idea... Windows 8 + Android. The demo looked pretty slick, but you never know until you actually feel one in your hands. It's also supposed to be pricey ($1500 or so was one estimate I saw based on the German pricing). I kind of like all these funny hybrid experiments that manufacturers are spinning out. Maybe one or two of them will actually catch on. Another variation that I'm interested in is an Android ultra-book.
  It's proof because it's failing. Surface Pro is a horrible product. It's not a good laptop and its not a good tablet. Consumers realize this when they try to use the thing. It's no fun at all. Microsoft somehow thought they were clever attaching a keyboard to a tablet, but they just re-invented an ultra-book. It's kind of sad really.   Do you use tablets at all? Because no one wants to use a stylus. Microsoft keeps pushing styli down our throats. We keep spitting them...
  Really? Name one.   The reason PC tablets failed all along has nothing to do with hardware (though certainly longer battery life, better performance is always welcome). The reason they failed was that Microsoft didn't have the vision or guts to say "a tablet needs it own touch-based operating system." No one wants to use a stylus or a horrible mini track-pad when using a tablet. It's a user interface issue. No "technological advances" can make up for crappy UI design.