or Connect

Posts by graxspoo

They do make drawing styli for the iPad. Have you tried any of them? The iPad's touch response is supposed to be highly accurate, so the main thing is "you need a smaller finger." And I appreciate what you're saying. There's always room for special purpose hardware. My main point is, if you fundamentally need a stylus or a keyboard to operate the thing, it ain't  a tablet. 
  Yes, it's another strange iteration of the hybrid idea... Windows 8 + Android. The demo looked pretty slick, but you never know until you actually feel one in your hands. It's also supposed to be pricey ($1500 or so was one estimate I saw based on the German pricing). I kind of like all these funny hybrid experiments that manufacturers are spinning out. Maybe one or two of them will actually catch on. Another variation that I'm interested in is an Android ultra-book.
  It's proof because it's failing. Surface Pro is a horrible product. It's not a good laptop and its not a good tablet. Consumers realize this when they try to use the thing. It's no fun at all. Microsoft somehow thought they were clever attaching a keyboard to a tablet, but they just re-invented an ultra-book. It's kind of sad really.   Do you use tablets at all? Because no one wants to use a stylus. Microsoft keeps pushing styli down our throats. We keep spitting them...
  Really? Name one.   The reason PC tablets failed all along has nothing to do with hardware (though certainly longer battery life, better performance is always welcome). The reason they failed was that Microsoft didn't have the vision or guts to say "a tablet needs it own touch-based operating system." No one wants to use a stylus or a horrible mini track-pad when using a tablet. It's a user interface issue. No "technological advances" can make up for crappy UI design.
  Oh, how about the Android/iPad sales figures versus the Surface Pro sales figures? That's pretty good proof.   Here's the thing: If it's running desktop software, it is simply not a tablet. You need a keyboard and a mouse, or at least a stylus to use desktop software. This destroys the tablet experience. If you want to run desktop software, buy an ultra-book. If it's a tablet, it should be purely touch based. This is pretty obvious if you've spent any time with the...
  The problem is they didn't incentivize developers enough. They absolutely did need to get developers to develop new apps. There is no way around this. Windows apps are not touch based. They never have been and they never will be. You can't (comfortably) run desktop software on a tablet. It's just that simple. There is a reason why you can't run OS X apps on an iPad even though both iPads and Macs are based on Cocoa and OS X. Apple understands that the user interface...
I've seen several comments online along the lines of "They should have waited for x86 and shipped full Windows on the surface." To me this line of reasoning completely misses the fact that if you're running desktop Windows, then the product is not a tablet. The Surface Pro is horrible. It's not a tablet, it's a very strange laptop. The mistake Microsoft made was tying RT to Windows. They should have called RT "Surface OS" and left the Start button alone in Windows. In...
There's plenty of room for more innovation. The problem is the iPhone really knocked it out of the park in 2007 and the entire industry has been trying to catch up ever since. Arguably, they have at this point: squint your eyes and at arms length, an iPhone, a Windows phone and an Android phone are all about the same, especially if you compare them to what passed as a "smart phone" in 2007. So now the question is, what's next? Yes, the world does not need another iPhone...
Android is a great phone OS. I was an iPhone user for years, but I jumped to the Android side of things because I'm a cheapskate (saved over 2k over 2 years switching to Android on Virgin Mobile). I can do everything on my Android phone I could do on my iPhone. In some ways its more capable. I like being able to download stuff from the internet, for example. It's nice having a small file system on my phone that you can actually access. I like the way Google Voice...
I think a plastic case is a great idea. I would never carry an iPhone 4 or 5 around without a case, but a plastic, less expensive iPhone, I would definitely consider carrying around with no case. So for me anyway, the thickness could actually wind up being less.