or Connect

Posts by graxspoo

Thinking that one device can give you the casual intimacy of an iPad for web browsing, and the fine control and ease of typing of a desktop or laptop may be asking too much from a single device. Apple's genius with iOS was to realize that a touch device is inherently different than a PC.
Hi Tim,   I'm wondering though, wouldn't you rather have something like a PC version of the MacBook Air for about the same price as the Surface Pro? With a proper laptop, you have an experience that is designed for keeping your hands on the keyboard, using the touch-pad, etc. With the Surface Pro, you have to switch between touch, stylus and optionally track-pad, and UIs that are designed for a mouse and for touch. It seems like a jumble. Plus, most portables in the...
It's funny, many of the earlier opinions that I read were along the lines of "Surface with Windows RT is useless. Wait for the Surface Pro." But, reading the specs of the Pro, I'd say the exact opposite. Surface Pro drags the Windows legacy behind it like a dog with cans tied to its tail, and because of that, it stinks as a mobile device. Who'd want this thing instead of a regular laptop? On the other hand, Surface with Windows RT made a clean break from the past, was much...
And Snow Leopard STILL has more share than Lion. I'm still on 10.6.8 and will be indefinitely the way things are going.
In terms of Apple's entry into the mapping business, this is obviously an admission of partial defeat. However, prior to iOS 6, there weren't any decent free turn-by-turn apps for the platform, which was a major advantage held by Android. Entering the mapping business and kicking Google off the platform as the default mapping solution, has forced Google to make an iOS version of their Maps app that is on-par with their Android version. Even if this is the only result of...
If they knew the new mapping system was not up to par, they should have labeled the app as "beta" like they did with Siri, and allowed users to keep using the old maps app through an app-store download. It's inexcusable for a smart-phone to have such a faulty mapping facility, especially the iPhone, which should be 'cream of the crop' in all ways.
I'm more enthused about the iPhone 5 than about any model since the original. It's really quite a significant upgrade, and looks like a beautifully designed and manufactured product. Of course, being a cheapskate, I won't be buying one.
Apple is reducing the value of its iOS platform. In many ways, this is the worst aspect of Apple's "go it alone" personality coming to the fore. I trust a platform more when it is a collaborative environment, with multiple parties and vendors contributing to the overall suite of services. Apple really wants to use its services exclusively. iTunes for music and video, iCloud for synchronized storage, iCal for calendaring, Address Book for contacts, Safari and Mail for...
One this is clear: Apple maps will not be as good as Google maps at first. This is a huge new project for them, and apart from just the obvious missing features like walking directions and street view, there's the quality issue. Google has been tweaking this for years, you can't expect Apple to step in and get it right immediately. I also agree with some of the other comments here that mapping is not necessarily a passion for Apple, and things that aren't passions tend...
Thanks for the word "Skeuomorphic."