or Connect

Posts by Kali

Marvin, your last suggestion is working. But what about security ? When I connect my MBP on the Mini (using the AirPort menu), I don't get a password protection (there is no padlock icon next to my Mini AirPort server). Does that mean that any neighbor could connect to the internet while using my Mini as the server ? The security protection isn't clear in this case.
The DSL modem is probably acting like a "router", since I'm using the mini's IP address. The MBP is using AirPort from the modem (wi-fi connection).Yes, it's pretty slow. I didn't made any comparison, but it may be like with what I got using BlueTooth.
I've found a better way : My mini is hooked on the DSL modem with the Ethernet cable, while the MBP is using AirPort. On the MBP, I simply have to use command-K (connect to server) in the Finder, and enter the mini's IP number. Once done a first time, the MBP remembers the IP address and password. The MBP then mounts the mini's HD on its desktop ! Can't be simpler than that ! That way, I don't even have to disconnect the MBP from the internet !
It's working. Thanks a lot for your help, Marvin.
I'm trying it right now. I created a new network using AirPort, but then how do I mount one HD on the other computer ?
Is it possible to connect two Macs at home, using AirPort, without an external AirPort server ? More precisely, I have a Mac mini and a MBP (see my signature below). I want to define a small network using AirPort, if it's possible. I don't have an external AirPort server. Is it still possible ? I don't want to use an Ethernet cable between the two computers, since one of them is a portable. Of course, I can connect them using BlueTooth, and it's working very well...
Well, that's the problem. I already tried Fluid, and it adds a lot of useless menus, and needs internet access. It's not what I need.
I need to transform some web pages into a desktop app, independant from the internet access. How can I do it ? Any idea ? As a specific example, see that astronomy web application : http://astro.unl.edu/naap/hr/animations/hr.html I need to have it as a standalone application on the desktop, fully functional even when the internet access is OFF.
I'm considering to replace my 13" MBP internal default HD for an SSD. I need 160 GB MINIMUM, and I'm wondering about the SSD reliability (data integrity in the long term). What are your opinion about the following four options ? 1. Intel 160 GB, X25-M G2, at 434$ (3 years Warranty) : http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Intel/SSDX25M160G2/ 2. OWC RE 200 GB, at 600$ (5 years Warranty) : http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...ng/SSDMXRE200/ 3. OWC 240 GB, at 530$...
Thanks for your help, solipsim. I'm really in a bad mood at Apple right now. What I see on my computers is inconsistent with the help I get at the Apple site. Many things are actually different. They goofed with that 10.6.6 upgrade ! I HATE this Mac Apple Store. What a huge piece of crap !