or Connect

Posts by digitalclips

I liked this post by Walt FrenchArs Praefectus on Ars site 17,000 infected machines, 3/4 of them outside of the US. Suggestions that the malware masqueraded as Photoshop or other Liberated Warez. Running despite no indication that OSX's normal security precautions were side-stepped. Perfectly consistent with there being 17K idiots in the world, or people desperate enough for free software that they throw ordinary cautions to the wind, of the many millions in use...
I was thinking East Texas.
I have been postulating this exact point for the last few years only I don't have your knowledge to back up what for me is just a gut feeling about the trend in Apple's direction. I even suggested that perhaps an addition Intel CPU might be a BTO on higher end Macs equipped with Apple "big iron" for those that do need to virtualize some Windows OS. I remember inserting CP/M-86 cards in Apple ][s so they could run non native OSs. For the most part, for the majority, those...
I was with you till the MP comment, which I read in contexts as meaning 8 is enough (if you didn't mean that we are on the same page). That old '8MP is all you need' meme is getting old. Having spent the weekend cropping down 20.2MP RAW images of wild life taken of a Canon 70D with a Canon 100-400mm L IS USM lens so critters fill the frame and still holding amazing resolution, I can assure anyone holding onto the '8MP Myth' that starting with more than 8MP is very useful.
Oh, so if you want to include malware specifically targeted at Microsoft Software that's a whole other story. I had a total ban on Microsoft Software so perhaps that was why we had no problems.Meanwhile think about what the PC world was going through ...
Agreed but I still say the stories of Mac OS serious infections are greatly exaggerated. Regarding OS X, a virus to me, is self installing and able to replicate. So called Malware that the press love to attribute to OS X in the hope the masses/ stock market think it is a virus, requires an idiot to install it.
As I say, we never came across any in all those years nor did our clients. I am not disbelieving you but you surely trod where no one I knew trod. I repeat we never ever ran fu****g Norton or any other Windows crap ported to Macs. Our clients were almost all business, medical, education, graphics and printing. Perhaps they travelled in different circles or the UK didn't have the same problem. OS X though is a different thing as I am sure you'd agree.
Way to help stir worries. I don't see a simple explanation there of how the Mac get's infected. While you are at it, Mr Android, care to post links to all Windows and Android malware AND actual viruses? I realize that would take weeks years, but go on give it a go in the name of 'not allowing FUD', your claimed raison d'etre.That's it with me for tolerating your anti-Apple crap. S*d off to your Google fan site will ya!I smell the non Apple people getting very scared out...
That's odd, I've used every Apple product other the Apple I and every OS Apple ever wrote going back to the 1970's and never had one, not ever. I have never used any anti-virus software either. My only concession to security other that relying on Apple's built in protection with OS X, is to use Little Snitch so I can say 'no' to attempts web sites make to talk to ad trackers and 90% of the time they are Flash based (even though I have ClicktoFlash). It only takes a...
That's like being proud that your horse and cart can't get carburetor trouble.