or Connect

Posts by Bageljoey

Wait! Apple is working on a new iPad? Why didn't anyone tell us!!
I just now realized that by buying an Apple ][c I helped Sculley fire (sort-of) Jobs. I had been saving for and dreaming of owning an Apple for so long, I didn't even consider a Mac. Besides Macs had that silly "mouse" and hid the power of the computer behind a constraining "graphical user interface". I had the same limited view of a fast moving technological field at 16 as that talented sugar water salesman...
OK. On not sure what we disagree about, though. Of course the iPhone isn't pie in the sky now--it is here. 5 years ago, however, I'm sure rational people in the industry would have told you that the iP4S's current specs would be a) impossible in a small form factor with decent battery life or b) pointlessly over speced (why would a phone need the screen resolution and graphics power of a laptop?) I'm not sure what this has to do with how many "mg" the LTE network in...
Sorry, I can't let this stand. The iPhone itself, with it's insane screen, processing and graphics power and connectivity would have been considered "pie in the sky" vision stuff 5 years ago. Things are moving so fast and developers are finding ways to use whatever can be offered them. Hiro may not have the specifics (though they look interesting to me) but I have no doubt that power will be used--and fast...
Monkey see, monkey do is a saying that originated in Jamaica in the early 18th century and popped up in American culture in the early 1920s. The saying refers to the learning of a process without an understanding of why it works. Another definition implies the act of mimicry, usually with limited knowledge of the consequences. The saying probably originates from the folklore of Mali, West Africa, made well known by Esphyr Slobodkina's retelling, which she calls Caps for...
I'm confused.I just looked at AT&T's 4G data coverage map and it shows a solid block of coverage in the northeast that blankets Deleware, SE Pennsylvania, NJ, NYC, Long Island and Connecticut. I live in the middle of all that, but I have no 4G devices to test it out. Is this map incorrect? Zooming in on Philly it clearly shows full coverage...[Edit: Nevermind. I fell for the 4G (but not LTE) trick... I knew something was wrong but I posted first, thought second......
LOL! Woz and Jobs were not sticking it to the man either!! They were selling a (really cool) device that allowed people to make long distance phone calls for free. They were essentially selling for profit somebody else's product. I think it is actually a very good analogy. This is not to say that I condem Jobs n Woz or that I condone pirates, I just think that people sometimes only see what they want to see...
I suppose no one is thinking of the Blue Box right now...
Thanks. You got to the heart of what I was asking. Specifically, if a dividend was regular, could people buy and sell the stock for the purposes of capturing dividends. I figured it was something like that, but it seems sort of archaic. You think with everything computerized these days, they could pro-rate the dividend payout depending on what percentage of the dividend period you held the stock...
OK, I have a stupid question. How do dividends work? Are they paid out to stockholders as of a particular date or does a person have to hold the stock over a certain range of time?