or Connect

Posts by cincytee

Whether or not that's technically legal, I don't have a problem with your doing that with your personal machines. (The down side, of course, is that you have no right to complain if that software doesn't run right on hardware for which it isn't designed.) For me, crossing the line is deciding to enter into a for-profit business with such activities. That changes your status from iconoclast to competitor, and no company should be compelled to allow its own products to be...
I choose... D: Microsoft feels the heat and starts making a comeback with Windows 7, but Mac OS X growth continues, resulting in a 12% market share 5 years from now, 15-17% market share 10 years from now.
This move makes bottom-line business sense. As a newspaper editor for several years (mostly for the business pages), though, I would have reminded Apple's execs that they could not buy the kind of world-wide advertising -- through either raw brand exposure or positive coverage -- that they routinely got for *free* through a MacWorld Expo keynote. I'm not sure that their own events can match the focus or sense of festive happening Expo offered. To me, it seemed a worthwhile...
It's a Catch-22 for Microsoft: As Apple threatens its Windows profits, the profits from Office:Mac grow ... and become more important. I think it may already be too late for Mr. Ballmer to take that kind of drastic retaliation.
Oh, please. It's exactly that kind of "agree with us or you're stupid" vibe that will drive people away from the Democratic ticket. If you think all McCain supporters are rednecks and all of Obama's are Ph.D.s who start their day at Starbucks, you're setting yourself up for political failure. Which the latest polls reflect. As for Leno and Letterman, well, I prefer classic Dave, but Dave has seemed to be calling it in lately.
Good God, I hate this grammatical atrocity for the sake of political correctness. If you don't want to say "his", write around it, don't just shrug your shoulders and say, "Oh, well." That, traditionally, is the Microsoft way, not the Apple way.
For me, the implication of this is even more positive in the longer term: These deferred revenues assure that Apple has a revenue stream fairly independent of the current quarter's results. In other words, if the U.S. economy should continue to tank instead of recover over the next 12-18 months, Apple will still have a river of money to route into product development -- a luxury few of its competitors will enjoy. Re-engineered and newly developed Apple products might then...
One of the great dangers of the rapid pace of technological improvement is that it can become linked with the vagaries of style. The chief insulator against style, though, is quality and thoughtful design, which I think the white enclosures embody; they at least must be said to present the best side of the sleek Jobsian aesthetic to the world. Subjecting it to such dismissive derision because someone's sense of style has moved on shows a profound disrespect for lasting...
Interesting choice of words. Usually one would expect Microsoft to do the gorilla marketing and others to go guerrilla....
Claris, ladies and gentlemen, not Clarris.