or Connect

Posts by cincytee

The Alan Sherman reference is dead on, but the piece is "Dance of the Hours" from Amilcare Ponchielli's long-winded and rarely performed opera La Gioconda. The dance was also used to great effect in Disney's Fantasia (in the segment with the dancing hippos) and a parody by Spike Jones, which was in turn used as the theme to the original, syndicated (half-hour) version of SCTV.  
or ... iSee
I suspect they're the devout folks who believe people doing a company's day-to-day management should not be on its board. I can't imagine a performance-based reason.
Remember: Saying analysts are "professional" just mean they get paid, not that they're any good.
You say that as if it's a good thing. Professionals bring more to the table than simply being able to use proprietary tools. Kids in a garage don't make music as good as people who've actually learned something about it first. Neither is the "common man" a great photographer because an iPhone gives him technological equality. The loss of respect for, acknowledgment of, and aspiration to expertise is perhaps the most dangerous side effect of the Information Age. As for...
That's "the secure California studio of Sir Jonathan Ive, KCBE,..."
Like what ... since its market share is growing?
I hesitate to feed the troll, but... It's difficult to see iOS doomed to a niche future while not only do its sales increase (which can, of course, trail a faster-growing market) but while its market share continues to grow steadily. It is not comparable to the Macintosh-Windows face-off among desktop OSs, a scenario that had Apple playing a role more akin to today's RiM. That is, Windows' share came at the expense of Macintosh's; so far, iOS and Android are both...
I, too, wonder at referring to Argentina as part of the third world. My understanding of the "worlds" is the Old World (Europe), the New World (the Americas), and the Third World (the rest, mostly former European colonies which remain economic backwaters). Argentina certainly has its share of old world-level institutions, but, by economic standards, it has slid since the currency collapse several years back. Still, protectionism is unlikely to fix the country's woes.
Gannett is at the moment deploying a new editorial system to all its properties which allows instant access to the stories of all its newsrooms to all its newsrooms. Along with this is a company-wide design overhaul so all Gannett properties look basically alike. Dictating technology deployment is dear to Gannett's heart. I just wonder how many layoffs and forced furloughs are being used to fund this move.