or Connect

Posts by guinness

I'm sure they could've even licensed Bing Maps, or Nokia, or..but Apple's hubris won out. They had to go their own way, and their overriding hatred of Google is above the happiness of iPhone users. I think they really wanted to get rid of all traces of Google first, fix the rest with some updates later on.   It has a very beta feel to it, and if it wasn't one of the major announced features of iOS 6, I probably wouldn't care as much, but I was really interested in using...
If your friend didn't make a backup, oh well.    It's like the golden rule of IT - never assume anything. Upgrades aren't foolproof, a good, recent backup is a must. And/or, use a Google account and sync all your contacts with that.    My experience with iOS 6, is that's ho hum. Maps is definitely a work in progress, good potential, but beta. Restoring from iCloud worked spot on, and I like the addition of being able to share my photo stream. 
Understood, chief, but the OP seems more concerned with maxing out components and bells and whistles (the current Mini performs about 35% slower, CPU wise, and 50%, GPU wise then his current PC), so that kind of answers what performance to expect.The only reason I brought up my Mini, is while I don't own the latest one, I do own one, and it's an OK computer, but if you're expecting Z from something that delivers X, you'll be disappointed, but it's also something that has a...
The Mini is an OK computer, but it's outclassed by an iMac or MP. The main selling points, are its size and price. I have an old 2007 C2D Mini, and it's definitely showing it's age, primarily because it needs more RAM, and it can only be maxed out at ~3 GB. OSX is pretty nice, but I can't take advantage of some of the latest advances and I have no interest in putting Lion on it, partly because of RAM, and it's seems like it was made for a trackpad. However, it's not a...
Don't throw logic into it - for them, it's not about having the exclusive titles (part of the reason why people choose one console over the other, or what they're friends are using (another part), or set top aspects (PS3 has BR, has had Netflix for years, or that Zune Marketplace has had 1080p content for a couple years), but if it's Apple it's all golden. Maybe all they friends play Words with Friends and use Game center though. Also, the AAA titles on the consoles can...
I don't see people being happy, holding a tiny 9.7" screen hours on end, and there are some things that a mouse + KB still do better. Also, until there is some sort of dock that allows for the connection of additional storage, monitors, input devices, an iPad just won't replace my PC with ~5-6 TB of storage, 8 GB RAM, 3 monitors, etc any time soon - tying to edit a bunch of RAW files on a tablet with limited storage and screen size for an extended period...no.I could see...
When I was in SF this past weekend, pretty much all I saw (of smartphones) anywhere, were iPhones. It honestly surprised me, but then again, it was SF, between the tourists, hipsters, artists, etc. It probably helps that they're so easy to spot, either a) it was a 4/4S, or they were using a tacky case with the hole in the back, so that Apple logo is showing, or some people had no case at all. And while I have no problems with what ICS offers (as a former Pre+ user, it...
I second this. While I have a Touchpad (and like it for the firesale price and webOS), an iPad with a high res screen could replace my Mac, laptop, netbook, and TP for extended purposes that don't fit with my iPhone.
The ATV is the device that does the wireless connection, otherwise, you're going to have to run a cable, and you won't have a wireless connection.
I wonder how good your son is at his job then, since for older backwards compatibility, there is always a VM, and 7 Pro includes XP Mode for running older SW for essentially peanuts, and any IT department worth their salt wouldn't be using a home edition of Windows to begin with, but even then, there's the option of a VM. And the latest version of IE that can run on XP, is automatically pushed out through WU, even Microsoft wants IE 6 to die. It's the same thing with OSX...