or Connect

Posts by unother

Personally, based on the multi-core hype, I think the floor will be multi-processor G5s.IOW, single-processor G5 1.6/1.8 won't be supported; G4 (naturally) won't be supported (multi-processor or not). All other G5s will be supported.
Yeah, Brooklyn Heights might make sense. I think the obvious choice, however, is DUMBO...
Eh... brushed-metal always makes me think of QT5 and its stupid roller-wheel volume control. The issue with brushed-metal was it was always a "consumer device" mimic theme, in original intent--then Safari showed up with it and I have to ask--when's the last time you bought a Panasonic Web Browser at Best Buy? Apple was trying for a "theme for app function" method for awhile and it sort of fell apart. Better to resume consistency.Hear, hear! Esp. if it's "sticky" (i.e....
This is my feeling as well. I think it's obvious that they will ned consistency regardless of a new "theme" for the OS, but it would be vital to make sure the plumbing is in place if they want to send water down the pipes!Can't really say how the iTunes codebase looks since it's in many ways now a cross-platform app, but I imagine they do not make use of the same "hooks" as the OS X-native apps do--which explains some of its ongoing inconsistencies. In many ways iTunes is...
I think what's getting lost in all of this "No FairPlay" hyper is that the only download format remains AAC! AAC is not completely open however (it requires a patent license for codecs), and thus support is not universal. Hence the analyst is stating that some persons might be more inclined to shop on iTMS and but iPods for the purchases, cos AAC support is spotty in most other MP3 players (and for the matter jukebox software/audio software). For the record, I own...
In a word? No.Why? Apple would have a support nightmare on his hands if every Tom Dick and Harry was installing OS X on his latest 1337 rig. Driver support has been simpler for Apple due to the fact it keeps a tight rein on hardware.Having said that, I think it would be far more likely that Apple would partner with a PC maker first to offer the option. As OS X demands EFI it would only be a subset of hardware that it would be able to support, and it would be easier for...
*Ahem* Maybe we should wait another year or two before that happens. It's not that late, you know.
Heh, if that's true then it looks like I'll be holding off on an upgrade until 10.6! \ I think I speak for many a Mac user when I say that OS 9 was far more "compelling" at that particular point in history. The quickly followed release of 10.1 (and moreover its free availability to 10.0 owners) speaks volumes about how "compelling" 10.0 really was...
I beg to differ... with wage costs, remember were talking Chinese labot here. Not particularly pricey. I believe I saw per unit costs for some devices close to less than $3. As for marketing and R&D well, those are amortized over volume so the only real additional might be freight. $200 IMHO is unlikely. Apple'd be selling them for $299 still if that was the case. The price drop is not "defensive", it is merely a deferral to the overall commodification of the...