or Connect

Posts by Shunnabunich

Java and JavaScript are two different technologies. The former has had about as much presence on the iPhone platform as Flash. I assume you meant the latter.
Actually, I will give Flash one thing, and that's cartoons. I enjoy the work of the Chapman brothers on Homestar Runner. They use Flash for absolutely everything, aside from stuff like the online merch store. It's a safe bet that if they had to use video to serve up their cartoons, their bandwidth bills would be many times what they are now, and it would be quite a bit more difficult to include the interactivity, such as "easter eggs", that they love to include (unless,...
He was talking about HTML5/CSS3/etc., not some proprietary browser plugin on top of all that. Apple's been pushing open standards for years, and is beginning to really pick up the pace more recently, because they know they need a level playing field if they're to have a chance of competing on their own merits. Reducing the Web's dependence on (unhealthy addiction to?) a completely opaque, proprietary plugin controlled by a single company (especially one that makes a point...
That's not quite the point of what they're doing. Apple's overall strategy, as far as anyone can tell, seems to be to level the playing field so that their already kickass products will sell on their own merits, instead of being unfairly squashed by an inferior product that got a free pass early on. To accomplish this larger goal, they're willing to help others achieve smaller ones. An example of where this is already working is in the smartphone market, where the iPhone...
Might have a point there.
There's more to it than even that. Often, one job doesn't pay enough to support yourself or your family. I was working two retail jobs for a while, because my first one didn't give me enough hours (we're talking one 6-hour shift a week, and several of my peers had similar complaints) and I have to help my family by being its second source of income. Eventually, I quit the first job because there weren't any more hours on the horizon, and it wasn't worth even a fraction of...
I think it's simpler than that. They just want the other 5%.
For the most part, certainly. But I'm sure there are at least a few out there whose developers just didn't know how to publicize their apps, and thus had them overlooked. Just a shame is all.
It seems pretty obvious to me that while what Steve said is probably true, it was intended to do what he's always doing: distracting from what Apple is still working on by playing up what's happening now. Thus it's both spin, as teckstud said, and likely the truth. (Edit: TBell beat me to that punch and said it better.)On the other hand, some have regarded the App Store as having too much downward pressure on prices. Nice for end-users, but unless a developer sells a ton...
As others have said, this article seems somewhat anemic compared to the others in this series. I've read the Ars review, though, and it's bloody impressive, so aside from delivering Dan's usual dose of feel-good schadenfreude for Apple and Mac fans, this series doesn't really have much to do aside from repeating salient points.Comparing OpenGL with DirectX is a mistake a lot of us seem to make. DirectX is a whole family of game- and media-oriented frameworks that encompass...