or Connect

Posts by Shunnabunich

Given that I have no personal interest in the Kindle whatsoever, and am a big fan of many of Apple's products... Holy shit, Dan. You're "surprised" that the Kindle doesn't use a 30-pin iPod connector? The plastic tray it sits in looks too much like the iPhone's?! Are you seriously that desperate to make the Kindle look like it's a wannabe iPod? Most of your articles are at least very decent, but this is way over the top with all the frantic comparisons of every last...
Fixed.
Or, as many Engadget commenters pointed out, they could just use that oh-so-badly-chosen tagline against them. "They were right. Nobody wants to touch it."
Can we maybe not give them their own local account on the machine this time around?
Be that as it may, Ms. Sunshine, plists are a good deal simpler to deal with than the Hindenburg-esque disaster known commonly as the Windows Registry. No "ordinary human" knows what the fuck their PC's registry is, either, but Windows users often have to edit it if they want to tinker with hidden settings nobody's gotten around to writing a GUI utility for yet. Faced with the choice of dealing with either that or some clearly formatted text files, I'd take the latter....
Another way to think of the tabs:The old titlebar, aside from about an inch on one end, was devoid of any useful function (not counting double-clicking to minimize, which still works). Now, instead of taking up screen real estate with the tab bar and titlebar, Safari 4 essentially gives us multiple selectable titlebars in one window. Kim kap sol's oft-quoted complaints are factually incorrect, so aside from the very subjective argument of "but they're ugly!", there's not...
You assume correctly. And my bad on the history; I meant it more in the sense that the consumer and NT lines had been separate, and were then "ideologically" converged into one line, which indeed happened to involve chucking the non-NT stuff. But anyway, the "big cat" names are specific to each 10.x.0 release. They don't try to be a surrogate version number like the "Windows 7" moniker. It's pretty clear, and well-understood, that each of them is an upgrade to the Mac OS...
By the logic of considering 6.1 to be the seventh Windows version: Windows 1 (1.0) Windows 2 (2.0) Windows 3 (3.1) Windows 4 (3.11, which despite being "For Workgroups", shipped on plenty of consumer systems, including my own family's first PC) Windows 5 (4.0/"95") Windows 6 (4.10/"98")Windows 7 (5.1/"XP") Windows 8 (XP SP1) Windows 9 (XP SP2) Windows 10 (XP SP3) Windows 11 (6.0/"Vista") Windows 12 (Vista SP1) Windows 13 (6.1/"7") And that's leaving out a whoooooooole...
The problem isn't that Microsoft prevents competition between browsers, but, as is the case with many other aspects of its business, that Microsoft circumvents competition by feeding the pervasive misconception that what they provide is all there is. Most people (regular people, who don't know a lot about computers), when asked why they use IE, will probably tell you it's because that's "the internet". Not "one way to get on the internet", not "the browser that came with...
For reference's sake, below are links to Dan's articles about why the "market share myth" he supported in this article doesn't work. They were written the better part of a year ago. The Unavoidable Malware Myth: Why Apple Won't Inherit Microsoft's Malware Crown Five Factors Shifting the Future of Malware and Platform Security