or Connect

Posts by samurai1999

You're right!
I'm with you on this one- although I think the new iMacs are attractive, I'd still prefer a Mini Mac Pro, with a room for a decent graphics card- ok, the graphics in the new iMacs are good- but they are already 'previous generation' cards- lacking DX11 support (is there an OpenGL equivalent yet)- so, it's a premium product, that offers a sub-premium graphics card- which may ok (ish) now, but if you buy a 27" iMac, you're going to want it to last 3+ years- also, soon...
Obviously Apple have done their sums, and concluded it doesn't make sense to play in that market segment - even if it 'feels' like they're missing an opertunity for a few of us...
So at 60/40 for the general Market, & 74/26 for Apple, it would take a 2x increase is Desktop sales to get Apple back to the current market...This report on Yahoo, from mid-2009, says 54/46http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/146551- corresponds to a 2.5x increase..ok, there would be some cannibilisation, but how much?Personally, I would get a single socket Core i7 from Apple if they did one- but at the moment, I'll just get a Windows7 PC (argh!)
So Apple sold nearly 3x as many Laptops as Desktops (74% Laptops) - and I think the general market has only recently passed the 50:50 mark - so there is still a potential for Apple to sell nearly 3x the Desktop numbers (700K -> 2000K approx) - ok, there would be cannibalization, and the market would take time to adopt the desktops - but that's the scale of the opportunity they are not addressing....
I think Apple (or SJ) is just philosophically opposed to the normal desktops- I agree with you that a normal Mid-range desktop would be a good seller, and not really need much R & D- and if Apple applied their normal margins, it would be as profitable as any other Apple product- but I can't see Apple doing it now- they're having too much success, and fun, pursuing other market & product types....
Sorry, what do you mean?
It's an interesting idea to allow purchase of iTune content from within your app - Apple have a phobia about allowing duplication of their core functionality - but you need not do that if you just specify a single track, album etc, and it gets loaded to the iPod music area. - an interesting idea, but I doubt Apple will implement it!
I think it's great - there's no need for the 'Lite' version of every app any more - just make the basic version free, and have In-app purchases to enable all the features - makes perfect sense to me Also e-books, it's ideal - the reader is free, and the you have to pay for the books...
Sounds like a rubbish patent - certainly from the information presented here, there's no actual algorithm, so it's impossible to say what it does, or how it does it - saying 'add some noise to make the artefact go away' isn't enough for a patent...